mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msett, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. msett macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    #1
    hey... in the buyers guide it says to hold off buying the mac mini... should I wait right now buying it? I dont want to buy it and a a lot better one come out next week or something.
     
  2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    it's based on the previous release, it will probably go down in price when Conroe (Core Duo 2) comes out at the end of the month, pretty much any PC you buy after that point will be cheaper, I doubt the spec's will increase significantly though.
     
  3. M-Life macrumors member

    M-Life

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Hol-Leawood
    #3
    Wait!!!

    From what I have read, don't buy it now. At the least there sould be a price drop in the next month or so, and possibly the specs will be updated as well. I am going to wait it out as well, as this is the only Mac I can now afford unless that education Imac becomes available to the general public. I was in the same situation last summer with the Ibook updates and I waited for almost 3 months for an update, but it was definatly worth it once it came.
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4

    If you need a new Mac Mini now, then go ahead and buy it. But if you can hold off your purchase for a little while, then I would advise waiting until after WWDC '06. :)
     
  5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

    steamboat26

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    Location:
    Arlington VA
    #5
    Are most people sure that conroe will be put into the mac mini? If so, will it be seen at WWDC or most likely later?
     
  6. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #6
    AFAIK, Conroe has very little, if no chance of being in a mini. It's a possibility that it may be used in a future imac and a guarantee it will be used on some Mac Pro configuartions. Merom would be a more likely chip in the Mini if Apple chose to take that route, but Merom does not come out for at least another month, and even then very few people expects Apple to employ that chip in the Mini.
     
  7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    I think the Mini will stick with Core Duo, when new chips arrive the old ones go down in price so are cheaper for Apple to buy, this should reduce the cost of the computer. There is also virtually no way the conroe will appear in the Mini, its too small.
     
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #8

    I agree it won't be in a Mini, but were is you source the PowerMac will use it? As of right now most reports point to a Quad based(which would mean only Woodcrest no conroe)
     
  9. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

    steamboat26

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    Location:
    Arlington VA
    #9
    So my mini won't be obselete for a list a little while? Thats great news :D
     
  10. crazycat macrumors 65816

    crazycat

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    #10
    If you need it, get it. Apple will always be updating there computers and if you want the very best you will have to wait till apple stop selling computers and get the last modle. My friend has a g4 iBook and is happy with it, the .25 or .5 of a GHz wont make you do something that you cant do now.

    I have World of Warcraft, iLife and tons of others things and it runs great (wow runs alright thou not very good but alright).
     
  11. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #11
    Awhile back I read reports that if Apple wanted the top config of the mac pro to be a quad, then only woodcrest could be used for this config, since you cannot use 2 conroes in one computer. As of right now there are three configs of PowerMacs available: a dual, dual, and quad. If Apple wants to keep the line the same through the transistion then the conroe chip may still be used in the lower two configs due to their availability and most likely their price compared to the woodcrest. IMHO, woodcrest won't be used for all the mac pro's, just for the quad config.
     
  12. M-Life macrumors member

    M-Life

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Hol-Leawood
    #12
    Patience is a virtue, good things come to those who wait, etc. etc.

    I think "If you need it now, buy it" should be amended to read "If you absolutly must have it now with no question of a doubt, buy it." I understand if your current computer is beyond repair or you are going away(school, etc.) and need a computer desperatly you should buy it, but if you are doing okay with what you have now, why not wait until updates or price drops. Though you may not notice that .05 ghz increase or the extra $50 in your pocket, you will atleast know that you got the most up to date product at the lowest possible price, and in my mind that is worth something. Plus it makes the moment that you actually get the product that much better because you have waited so long. The bottom line is the Mini most likely is near some sort of update, so wait if you can.
     
  13. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #13
    There's a difference in buying a computer immediately after it has had a refresh and one 10 months later....of course Apple will always be updating their computers, but there comes a point in the update cycle where buying one may not be such a good idea.
     
  14. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

    thequicksilver

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2004
    Location:
    Birmingham
    #14
    It would be logical for the high end £529 mini to take on the Merom at some point in the vaguely near future, and for the low-end £399 mini to take on the newly price-reduced Core Duo chip. This would also get rid of the Core Solo model, which from what I've read really isn't very good at all.

    (I found it amusing actually that in the Regent Street store where I was yesterday, that of the five minis on show, not one of them was a Core Solo.)
     
  15. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #15
    I hope the Mini doesn't get bumped during WWDC though, so I can still sell of my Mini in time and get a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro :p
     
  16. M-Life macrumors member

    M-Life

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Hol-Leawood
    #16
    Mini updates

    It seems like WWDC would be the most likely time for a mini update. I believe that is sometime near the beginning of August. The ibooks were updated just before that event last year, so it is reasonable to believe it will be sometime in the next month. The specs of the mini are somewhat outdated (especially the core solo) and the price is what I would consider high, so it seems something has to give soon.
     
  17. crazycat macrumors 65816

    crazycat

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    #17
    Yes i agree but if you cant run the apps that you want with the current config then i see no reason why not to buy it. I "think" you might see a small update somethign along the line of .5 of a GHz maybe but i dont see a price cut.
     
  18. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    Well, im hoping the current core solo will be upgraded to a dual core model - 1.6ghz probably and the current 1.6 dual core to a 1.8. But that single core chip needs to go.
     

Share This Page