Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iMeowbot, Sep 14, 2004.

1. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Interesting. But they patent a lot of names. Like iWrite for example and until now I haven't heard anything else about this. But maybe we'll see an Apple Office Suite for iLife '05. We'll see I guess.

3. iMeowbot thread starter macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's more Mac mini that's interesting. It was filed much too recently to have been a name for the new iMac (which is awfully big to be a mini anything); and unused trademarks expire, so it's not especially useful as a preemptive device. THey must have had some sort of hardware in mind here :D

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Good point. What are you implying? Any ideas?

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, there was an iPod, then an iPod mini. Why not an iMac mini? Could it be the name for the phantom tablet?

6. iMeowbot thread starter macrumors G3

iMeowbot

We still have this unexplained design, which definitely is not the new iMac. Other than that, who knows? If nothing else, it's another hope for those still mourning the Cube.

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I'm not intrested anything like a tablet-mac.. Apple should see the need for "unheaded" (monitorless) below 1000USD desktop mac.. Unfortunately I can spend 900 bucks and buy a newest technology PeeCee, just chassis, and use my own CRT, but I have to spend 1000 euros to buy a 17" eMac

8. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

... And to start the speculation again... G5 Cube!!! This is the only thing that the patent can be for. Apple will never enter into the Tablet market, so a 'headless iMac' will be the only thing for this Patent. Cube here I come!

9. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

There is a Turkish say for your post, it says "honey is dropping from your mouth" which means you are saying words as wonderful and "sweet" as honey...

I wish that Apple would release CubeG5 or dual-core G4 before I spend my 1000 euros to a crappy winblows machine.. Please S.J... you see the market demand, I know you do..

10. superkatalog macrumors regular

really interesting. i hope it will end in a real product. :)
    i think there is a chance that what ever it will be (if there will..) colored... :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Mac Mini = A small device with the volume of approximately 4 iPods that contains a CPU, a laptop or iPod sized 40 or 60 GB harddrive, several USB2 and FW ports, an ethernet port, and an headphone jack. It doesn't come with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackpad, or any input devices. Its meant to be a portable computer that you can stow away easily into a jacket pocket or briefcase. To work, you'll need to plug an LCD into it, along with any input devices you require.

Its a fully capable portable computer that you can keep in a jacket pocket. It will weigh under 500 g. Instead of using a desktop as your main computer, and a notebook to bring your work from one location to another, this would allow you to bring your primary computer to and from the office, requiring only a monitor and keyboard at any location for it to work. Some people simply don't want to lug a laptop around. With a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, the Mac Mini could sit directly under the LCD and take up virtually no space.

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The only thing that held back the Cube was the price, imho. I'd love to see a single processor G5 [sans monitor] drop into the product line for around 900USD.
    That being said, Apple wants you to buy a PowerMac. If they ever do release a pro-sumer Mac sans display, count on it being either too pricey, or config-crippled, so it does not hurt PowerMac sales too much. Then, of course, no one will buy it, it will be deemed a "failure," and we'll never see another such product from Apple. :(

13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yes, and let's not forget our pyramid / snake-neck designs. Oy.

Mac Mini sounds like it could be a tablet-style device. From the categories listed, I'd guess it's either a computer or computer software? "Mini" doesn't sound like something you'd name an app, so I'd have to go with computer. (If not a tablet, maybe an eMac replacement? Hmmm.)

Pages sounds fascinating. If it ever comes to be, I'd bet it's publishing or note-taking software.

14. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

iLife is supposed to be the suite for the rest of your life- i.e- out of the office. I doubt Apple would include an Apple Office Suite into iLife. Perhaps it would be marketed as a seperate suite bundling an updated AppleWorks and Keynote? Besides, iLife is supposed to be integrated. I doubt spreadsheets and GarageBand would mix very well. ;)

15. iMeowbot thread starter macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The pending application for the invention portion of the snake-arm display shows enough detail to build one. That one, at least, was real. I had orogonally assumed that it would just drop under its own weight when released, like a standard ball-and-ring arm, but they came up with a really cool way to keep that from happening. It would have cost a fortune to build that thing (it may not have looked so silly if they covered it in an accordion sleeve), and I think that's most of why we never saw it.

They pyramid design patent looks as though it was an afterthought to cover vague language in the invention application. :)

When the category is listed like that, it's generally for a hardware product; the software part would be to cover the bundled OS and so on.

That "tablet" could also be not really a tablet. There are enough "extra" pins in the iPod dock connector to provide all the I/O (including monitor) that a PC would need. That flat front could be a simpler status display (perhaps for dual use as an AirPort companion), or the idea could even resemble this mockup that's been making the rounds.
    [​IMG]
    I kind of suspect this isn't exactly what Apple might have in mind, simply because the display size is a bit of an anachronism.

16. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I exactly see what you are talking about but I dont have budget to spend 2000 euros on a chassis-only-G5 and this is the main reason here in Turkey for Apple not being sold that much..

on the other hand, I see an important move by Apple, did you ever realised that they only have dual-processor G5s on the market (except iMac, which is all-in-one).. This kinda shows that they are going to release a single-processor "headless" G5 (sans monitor) which will be around 800-900 USD or even for less, because the starting level of iMac is 1299USD these days and without the monitor, it should drop to 800-900 USD or something lower..

You remember the '98, when iMac was released.. it saved Apple from shut-down and gave him the power he owns today.. A computer like this (a single-processor headless CHEAP G5) will be the next move to enlarge the market share in an extremely great way..

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I suppose you're right. I guess we will see next year.