mac mini's 2 together?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Jan 21, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

is it possiable to link 2 mac mini's togther to make them work together and make it twice as fast? maybe like a dual core but my firewire some how? is it possiable??? please help

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In a word, no.

Two machines cannot work on one task, other than in some very specialized rendering, modelling or digial audio systems where distributed processing nhas been specially programmed in.

What you can do is run two machines, each on different software, and switch back and forth between them with a KVM switch so that while one is doing, say, an iMovie render or a database import, you can check email and post on MR with the other one.

3. Quantum Man macrumors member

lol an entire computer devoted entirely to email and posting on MR. :D

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't laugh...

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Indeed, you have no idea how many of us you just offended by laughing :eek:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hmm....

I have one computer - check
    Mail is open - check
    Posting on MR - check
    Nothing else - check.

Yeah, don't laugh.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well all i really do is MacRumors, CNN, Mac-Forums and some iLounge, eMail, and iTunes and school work

Perhaps i should use my iBook as a MacRumor Mac when i'm at my desk!

8. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Yeah using a KVM switch is cool, but if they're on the same network, use Teleport: http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

It's just like a KVM switch, only free. It also can sync your pasteboards (helpful for getting small portions of text from one Mac to another)

As long as you have a good and steady connection between both Minis, you'll do fine. If you aren't on a network, just connect an ethernet cable between them.

I dunno about you guys but I have a lot going on at once ... not that I do a lot at once, no multitasking, just short attention span. I have virtual desktops and switch from iTunes to Mail to surfing to web programming to photoshop to watching a DVD to chating on Adium ... etc