Mac mini's Core Solo CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by t^3, Feb 28, 2006.

1. t^3 macrumors regular

I know this won't happen for at least a few days, but if someone is willing to crack open a new Mac mini with the 1.5 GHz Core Solo, I'd like them to take a look at the CPU, since Intel hasn't announced a 1.5 GHz Core Solo, only a 1.66 GHz model (T1300). So my guess is either that Intel is giving Apple a bunch of Core Solos that aren't up to spec, or Intel will be rolling out a new Core Solo soon, or Apple is deliberately underclocking these mini's with the Core Solo.

2. arcobb macrumors regular

3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I agree. It would confuse people not understanding what the difference is between the two models, since the would both run at the same "speed".

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I have no doubts that its actually a T1300 (1.66Ghz) part.

What will be interesting to see is how far these things can stabley be overclocked by. The P-M line of chips have always been notoriously good at overclocking, 2.4Ghz on air for a 1.6Ghz part was not uncommon with a stock heatsink and fan. I don't think these puppies will be able to be pushed *that* far but 2.0Ghz is very likely in my opinion. I just wonder how long it'll take! My bets are within the month.

5. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I don't know it may take a while. There is no BIOS to overclock from and unlick PPC chips there is never anything physically to overclock from. All overclocking is done in software at least in the current x86 world. I highly doubt apple left the EFI open to overclock.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If its not a resistor arrangement setting then it'll be locked up in EFI somewhere - i.e. software and fixable with a bit of EFI software, not to mention any software similar to the software overclocking programs available in Windows.