Mac Minis, the red-headed step-child?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Zarach, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Zarach macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I went to the Apple store in Austin, Tx this past weekend and was surprised to see only one Mac Mini on display. That's what I was there to look at as I am mulling over buying one to connect to my HD TV. (Honestly, it looked like it should be called the iPod store. I know, I know, that's where the recent profit is...). But it took me longer than it should have just to find the Mac Mini--and c'mon, it shouldn't have. This doesn't say good things about where the minis stand in importance, that's for sure.
  2. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    This makes sense. Apple is likely to showcase each of their computers for sale once each, then have additional computers around the store showcasing other hardware and applications. They are more likely to use a computer with a built in monitor like a laptop or imac to showcase additional hardware like digital cameras and stuff, simply for ease of setup / location change within the store / space requirements. In the case of showcasing higher end software applications they are more likely to use a powermac due to the increased performance required to make a high end piece of software look good. Its not that they're ignoring the mac mini per se, but it does seem to be their least versatile model.
  3. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You missed one then. In Apple Stores, they generally have TWO Mac mini's on display. One in the HOME section, and one in the PHOTOS section.

Just as well, the iPod section is a little larger because the Apple Store is likely to sell nearly 200 units per day (on the weekends.)
  4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    No, no no, Mac Mini's are too bastardized to be red heads, they must be Blonde second cousins, or twice removed from a previous marriage brunettes.
  5. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    Actually, they are the result of a slightly incestuous menage a trois involving a G4 Cube, a PowerBook and an iPod Mini.
  6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002

Still trying to wrap my head around the term "slightly incestuous"... :eek:
  7. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    Perhaps it took you so long to find one because the mini is so darn small :rolleyes: :) :D ;) :cool: :eek: :p
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Kind of like "a little bit pregnant" eh?
  9. Zarach thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    ...but still....

I knew someone would bring up the "they're too small to find" thing.

Anyway, I just think that as a means of getting 'switchers' Mac Minis should be more prominent. I also think that--as a marketing gimmic if you will--that Apple should have minis set up in store with the typical dust covered monitors and keyboards showing people this is what the mini can do for you. They don't sell a freaking monitor that anyone would actually buy (if in the market for a $499 machine) so why not really show people how it should work? And have them easy to find/see!
  10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

*gasps for breath*

I LOVE IT!!

There are 2 Mac Minis in Houston Galleria Apple store. On the wall, there is mac mini with 20", mac mini with 23".

Yeah, I could give you the specs on every machine in that store...
    *will bring a book next time she goes to the Apple store, for waiting in the genius bar line*