Mac Mods

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by wPod, Aug 13, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

wPod

Warranty, whats that? AppleCare, who needs it?

This is the thread for everyone who gets tired of their plain white, black, or brushed aluminum Apple.

I have had 4 Apples now, and all 4 I have made modifications to. The latest is my mac mini. I have only started with the mods :) Here is what I've done so far:

[​IMG]

I plan on adding an LED under the apple so it will become iluminated! Then, once I can easily obtain a Core 2 chip, I will drop that in since the mini is only core solo (I intentionally bought the solo intending to upgrade. . . as soon as I found that people were able to do this)

Here are links to my other mods. . . I will have full details of my mac mini mod on my web site once I finish with the LED addition!
    iBook G3
    PowerBook G4 12"
    PowerBook G4 15"

2. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thats cool :) Your brave. I'd be scared to mod my mac I'm sure I'd screw something up :D

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i havent scrwed anything up

. . .

. . . yet

4. macrumors 6502

Very nice mods. I still think that MR should add a mods category, like macnn. Keep it up.
    -dsm

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

Thanks, i agree, i think a mod category would be cool! but that means other people should post mods here so we can know im not the only person doing mods! heh!!!

6. macrumors 6502

What about another "Apple" logo mod: the Classic Macintosh colors!!
    Would look mighty awesome on a MacBook..............

7. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Oooh. I'm liking that iBook G3. I wouldn't mind voiding my applecare to mod my MBP, but not until after I get a stable unit that I don't have to send in multiple times :(

On second thought, maybe I'll wait till my 3 years are up... :D

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

I actually found out how to disasemble the 12" PB from this site where the mod is a classic colored apple for the PB!

9. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

10. macrumors member

minty-freshness

woah.that is hot... is there a way to mod a new macbook white? not really sure what i was thinking of, but it's always a great idea. :p :D

11. macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Your VERY brave I would NEVER be able to void my warenty by doing this.

12. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

whats happened to the Mac Mods? Something must have happened recently!

I'll get the ball rolling again with my modded MacBook concept. I love the matte feel of the black MacBook, but I don't like the screen bezel and keyboard. I find they are difficult to work with. Easiest solution? Get the best of both worlds. Get a black MacBook, and either replace its screen bezel and keyboard with the white one, or gut both the computers, and rebuild them with new cases. The latter will probably be the one that happens, as the cheapest way to get a black MacBook is if it is damaged beyond repair. People will think it's just a standard black MacBook when they see it closed, but once I open it up... boom! (shameless Steve Jobs quote there)

With my über-noob Photoshop skills, I've created a mock-up of my idea. If anyones black MacBook kicks the bucket, or if anyone wants to do the inverse mod, please PM me! :)

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

14. macrumors 6502

Well I think this looks really cool but my iPod no longer works. I think I messed up the battery taking it apart. New one comming in the mail.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors newbie

machris

I always liked the laser etched MacBooks and MacBook Pros:

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I converted a Blue and White G3 tower to a 450 Mhz G4. Swapped out motherboards. I'm going to be making a MacQuarium. I don't know whether to use a non-working Mac Plus or an Apple Studio Display.

18. macrumors 603

SkyBell

If it's non-working, the Plus, obviously.

Unless the studio display is non-working as well, in which case, make two. (Send one to me);)

19. macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I really think that would be a sweet idea. I don't necessarily have a problem with the black insides because they're "difficult" - but it would be nice to get rid of the fingerprints/smudges problem. The white insides were always nicer.. but the glossy outside ruins it. This could definitely be a neat mod.

20. macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yeah both non-working. i also have some broken DV iMacs with great case condition. Can anyone say, exhibit? :D

You've probably seen my other mod before. I showed it off a few months ago.

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I swapped around the clear handles and side panels on a G4 I had with a G3 I had, so it has the silver panels, clear handles, and the blueberry plastics and Apples.

I'll have to get pictures of it, as it looks f***ing sweet. :D

22. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

revives the thread...

[​IMG]
    click pic for my thread with more pics.

my G4 sawtooth with B&W case and MDD clear handles.

also, i'd like to see the OP's ibook G3 but linky no longer works :(

23. macrumors 68030

24. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

^WOW Thanks!!!

i've been googling ibook g3 mods forever and love the part about alcohol to make the case clear... oh yeah :p

or i just might make the apple logo clear and put in an orange color film to make it glow? will that work?

25. macrumors 68030

From what I recall, there's a thin piece of white paper over the logo on the G3 iBooks once you get the top case off. You can replace this paper with colored film or whatever you'd like. I think it's just taped on.

Been a while since I've been in a G3 - the SkyBook died a horrible death after a failed backlit keyboard installation attempt, and that was the last time I dug into one.