Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007

click pic for my thread with more pics.

my G4 sawtooth with B&W case and MDD clear handles.

also, i'd like to see the OP's ibook G3 but linky no longer works :(

What is that huge black brick on the wall? That's a huge switching supply. You have a 3d printer or something?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
yeah i just bought an ibook so i'm already looking for ways to upgrade/mod it :p

seeing how the keyboard looks clear, is there a way to modify it for it to glow or lightup at night?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Woah - the power supply is EXTERNAL - and those mofuggas still had the heat buildup / cooling problems?!? :eek:

Yeowza. I feel bad for the kid who puts that brick in some deep shag carpet, or more accurately, bad for his family who is out a house afterwards.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
seeing how the keyboard looks clear, is there a way to modify it for it to glow or lightup at night?

Well, that's what I tried to do, and it killed my iBook - but I screwed it up. So if you do it right, it is possible. I had tried to make it so that each individual key would glow when the lights were off. We took two blue LED's and powered them using the LCD power, so whenever the LCD was on, they would come on - we then drilled little holes on top and ran fiber optic wire in the top and scratched it under each key so that the light would shine through there. We ended up soldering in the wrong resistor (this was a rushed, over-night project - involving lots of beer) and ended up frying the logic board.

But it would have been damn sweet had we pulled it off!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well, that's what I tried to do, and it killed my iBook - but I screwed it up. So if you do it right, it is possible. I had tried to make it so that each individual key would glow when the lights were off. We took two blue LED's and powered them using the LCD power, so whenever the LCD was on, they would come on - we then drilled little holes on top and ran fiber optic wire in the top and knicked it under each key so that the light would shine through there. We ended up soldering in the wrong resistor (this was a rushed, over-night project - involving lots of beer) and ended up frying the logic board.

But it would have been damn sweet had we pulled it off!

would also be damn sweet of seeing some of those grusome pics :D
if you got any?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Woah - the power supply is EXTERNAL - and those mofuggas still had the heat buildup / cooling problems?!? :eek:

Yeowza. I feel bad for the kid who puts that brick in some deep shag carpet, or more accurately, bad for his family who is out a house afterwards.
~180-200 watts when gaming

I have to turn off the furnace when my roommate wants to play his 360.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
would also be damn sweet of seeing some of those grusome pics :D
if you got any?

Sadly, the only digital pic I have of it is an "in progress" pic:
progress.jpg

There are a lot of "during" pics, but they're at home in a photo album. And mostly they're just blurry close-ups of LED's and beer bottles. There were no "after" pics, as we were all very disappointed and tired.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Dig your power supply (the black one) and the Tektronix digital phosphor scope. (if that's what they are)

And if that is in YOUR basement - don't tell me, I'll be so jealous.

My basement is all 15+ year old or home built stuff. No digital scopes for me, just tubes of the analog type. And power supplies that I've built because I needed them, but was too cheap to ever buy one.

Drives me NUTS when I think of doing something, of course, picturing the equipment I use every day at work (80K + scopes and what not) - then I see my 20mhz Dual Channel POS scope. Oh yeah, I can't do it here. :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
God, I wish that was all my stuff! No, this was actually in a lab at the university I used to go to. Nice equipment, and we had pretty much 24/7 access to it.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
here's my macbook;
mbclosedsf6.jpg

mbhalfwn9.jpg

mbfullde7.jpg

the mod took about 3-4 hours for the bottom case, and about 1-2 for the display case. I started with a white 1.83GHz Core Duo MacBook, so I had to completely gut the computer and put the parts in the new cases. Probably the hardest thing was getting the magsafe out of the case; i had to be rougher than i would have liked to get it out.

In terms of service, MacBooks are a lot easier to take apart than MacBook Pros.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I've done a few mac mods.

The first was converting a Apple Mac Cube into a windows based file server:
Full Guide: http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/maccube.htm

]http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/gallery/d/3024-1/DSCF2060.jpg

It was a great little system, very pretty and very quiet.

Also I converted a Powermac G4 into a windows machine many years ago now
Full Guide: http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/badapple.htm
http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/gallery/d/1898-1/DSC00361.jpg

See, I plan to do the opposite, I plan on making a xMac, the mac people have been desperate for, built out of PC parts...

Here's a photoshop I did and a photo of all the insides, some parts are transparent so you can see where the other parts go :p

I plan to start building it on sundays and in my spare time at some point soon, dimensions are as follows:

Height: 20cm
Width: 27cm
Depth: 22cm

Ignore my poor photoshop skills, the big ass power button will also have the power light built in, hence is huge size :p

Acrylic with the inside sprayed white for the front and sides and brushed metal top.

It's pretty much half a computer case, and take away the space for the power supply.

I expect the full "OH THATS HORRIBLE, IT'S NOT A PROPPER MAC, BUY A MAC PRO, LOLZ!!!11" but I really don't care, I'm doing this as a hobby and a experiment...

Attachments

• xMac.jpg
    xMac.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 105
  • mac computer build (cropped).jpg
    mac computer build (cropped).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 102
  • xMac (Back).jpg
    xMac (Back).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4,016

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Schtumple, that looks cool. Realizing this is just a shopped idea at this point, I don't see how you could fit the power supply in that configuration and also have a DVD drive. It also looks like it will have a lot of issues with cooling and cable routing. Not to mention a high end video card. The hard drive placement in the photo blocks virtually all of your pci slots.

Unless you go bigger, I can't imagine how you could build something that would even come close to the specs of a baseline G5 tower. No way you'll get more than once processor in there, and the heatsink would also interfere with the DVD drive/powersupply issue.

I have a few suggestions. I would make the case shape differently (bigger). You could still achieve a nice look by making it more like a shoebox, only with more height. That would allow you to mount your hard drives above your pci slots, with a cooling exhaust fan on the side in between the drives and pci slots. The DVD drive, you could get a slot loading drive, and flip it sideways and place it in the same space, only have the bezel coming out the right side. It's rectangular, and this would free up space for your power supply, and the added height would get it off your heatsink. Then place intake fans on the front of the case. You could get nice chrome or titanium grills for aesthetics, and maybe even fans with LED lights. It would put all your SATA cables in close distance from the motherboard inputs, and would allow nice cable management and airflow.

It would still be unique and aesthetically pleasing. Put some rubber grommets in, wrap your cables, and your clear panels will be showcasing something that looks nice, instead of crowded and overheated.

If you want to have comparable specs to the new G5, you'll need to get a server mobo, and that means an even bigger case. But if you're going for a run of the mill power level box, you could pull this off. Could you list some of the hardware you plan on installing? And the OS? Good luck, and keep us posted!

Pucas

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Damn.. I would love to change the color of the apple on my MB!
- But i will try with a sticker on the outside :p

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
does the :apple: logo glow on the MBs like the do the iBooks? i changed the apple to red and the stem to green on my g4 iBook and i'm doing the clear case mod to my g3. i actually tried last night but i guess the cheap 50% alcohol from the .99 cent store wasn't strong enough to remove the paint :(

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Schtumple, that looks cool. Realizing this is just a shopped idea at this point, I don't see how you could fit the power supply in that configuration and also have a DVD drive. It also looks like it will have a lot of issues with cooling and cable routing. Not to mention a high end video card. The hard drive placement in the photo blocks virtually all of your pci slots.

Actually, it isn't a shopped idea, that picture with the transparent hardware was actually put like that, there is actually plenty of room for pci slots, it looks like there isn't but trust me, there is, just, the psu is a small form factor psu (10 x 12 x 6cm, i think) not a regular one, no way would a regular fit in there.

Unless you go bigger, I can't imagine how you could build something that would even come close to the specs of a baseline G5 tower. No way you'll get more than once processor in there, and the heatsink would also interfere with the DVD drive/powersupply issue.

I'm not after anything spectacular, I just want this as a basic machine for my tv/1tb back up server.

I have a few suggestions. I would make the case shape differently (bigger). You could still achieve a nice look by making it more like a shoebox, only with more height. That would allow you to mount your hard drives above your pci slots, with a cooling exhaust fan on the side in between the drives and pci slots.

Again, the hard drives ARE mounted about the pci slots, there is just enough room to do this, I need to take a better photo, or some kind of 3d drawing to show this, that photoshopped picture may not show it, but this is actually all possible with the hardware I have.

The DVD drive, you could get a slot loading drive, and flip it sideways and place it in the same space, only have the bezel coming out the right side. It's rectangular, and this would free up space for your power supply, and the added height would get it off your heatsink. Then place intake fans on the front of the case. You could get nice chrome or titanium grills for aesthetics, and maybe even fans with LED lights. It would put all your SATA cables in close distance from the motherboard inputs, and would allow nice cable management and airflow.

I have been tempted to go with a slot loading drive, it would go so well with the acrylic front, but the price put me off. I am working on air flow at the moment, I'm thinking I might have to go with a mac pro front like design, I hate fans with LEDs, very tacky.

It would still be unique and aesthetically pleasing. Put some rubber grommets in, wrap your cables, and your clear panels will be showcasing something that looks nice, instead of crowded and overheated.

The more I think about it, it would be nice to have a cheese grater :)p) front, all the cables were going to be perfectly hidden, I hate cables, alot :rolleyes:

If you want to have comparable specs to the new G5, you'll need to get a server mobo, and that means an even bigger case. But if you're going for a run of the mill power level box, you could pull this off. Could you list some of the hardware you plan on installing? And the OS? Good luck, and keep us posted!

Again, run of the mill is what I'm after.

I built this PC into my (old) desk, so I've pulled these kind of things off before :p

I have the following hardware

Pentium D 2.8(??)GHZ
Some small mobo, can't remember the make
2gb of DDR400 RAM
1 1tb drive or 2 500gb drives, haven't made my mind up yet, probably the 1tb will be best.
bog standard DVDRW
Can't remember the graphics card, it really isn't anything special, but it works in OSX86 so I'm happy with it
OSX86 is my operating system, the machine has run it before, so I'm sure it'll do it again :p

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Schtumple, thanks for answering my questions. I totally agree on the LED fans hehe. Good luck with this. Hope you show it off when you're done. :)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Schtumple, thanks for answering my questions. I totally agree on the LED fans hehe. Good luck with this. Hope you show it off when you're done. :)

It's quite alright :)

I'm going to ask my dad to create a 1/2 inch thick slab of metal, cheese grater style, for the front, should improve air flow :p

hoping to start next week, just bit by bit, dismantling the case etc, think I might create a new thread for it

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
i had an extra case for my g3 ibook and i removed the paint and will have a clear ibook, just need to swap the plastics. i'll post pics up soon.

was just reading up on the "tronbook" and would so love to get a clear palm rest.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
i had an extra case for my g3 ibook and i removed the paint and will have a clear ibook, just need to swap the plastics. i'll post pics up soon.

was just reading up on the "tronbook" and would so love to get a clear palm rest.

If you do find a clear palm rest, let me know where you find it! I've only seen one before, and it was custom-made by someone in Japan - a bit out of range for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.