Mac n00bie... Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Nov 23, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am a first time mac user. I just bought a ibook...

How can I get all my files ( Documents, Music, Movies, Pics ETC) from my Windows XP PC to my iBook...

They are both hooked up via my DLINK router....

any help? thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The first thing I'd try to do is to connect from your Mac to your PC simply by making sure you're in the Finder (click on the desktop anywhere, and it should now say "Finder" in the menu bar upper left), then connecting to your PC by typing ⌘K (or, in the menu bar, Go->"Connect to Server..."). If your PC is there, you should be able to connect to it, then just drag files across once the drive mounts.

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

I know this probably pointless but which did you buy, the Powerbook or iBook?
    Not that it makes a difference or anything, but just to clear things up.
    ;)

4. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

oops lol

iBook 14'

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

6. AMASOP macrumors newbie

Probably not the right way to do this, but works for me....

I'm a new Pbook owner, and I just connect the two laptops with an ethernet cable (directly, bypassing the router).

Find the IP address associated with your ethernet (click the apple in the far-upper-left corner of your screen-->"About This Mac"-->"More Info..."-->Click on the "Network" tab and find the address next to Ethernet).

On your windows laptop, just go into Windows Explorer and type in "//192.168.0.1", using your Ibook's IP address behind the double back-slash.

It may take a moment, but your windows laptop should connect/find the Ibook, then ask you for your Ibook's username/password. Then you should be set to go. Hopes this helps.