Mac Networking Help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bostonwhaler1, Oct 15, 2004.

1. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Hi guys,

My dad has enlisted my help in setting up a network at his largely Mac-based office. I am however not an expert in networking, but I’d say I’m an advanced to expert Mac user. I am looking basically for any information I can get about setting up a server (probably Xserve) and how one goes about setting up a Mail server etc. I’m basically starting from scratch here and am wondering if there are any online resources for this kind of thing. I intend to enlist in Apple’s server training courses where I’m sure I’ll learn most of this stuff, but I do want to have a certain level of understanding before I embark on the project. Basically, any insight you guys can give would be MUCH appreciated.
    I’ve always appreciated the help MacRumors folks have given me.

Thanks in advance.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

os x is unix-based. so maybe reading up on unix would be a good start...

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

OS X Server has a GUI that is so idiot-proof that you should have absolutely no problems figuring it out. If you have specific questions, most of the answers can be found with a simple Google search.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'd imagine the hard part here isn't OS X Server itself - it's the specifics of getting mail routed to your mailserver from the outside, and so on.

Given that your dad has enlisted you, I am confident guessing this is a pretty small business. There is almost no way that it's going to make financial sense for the company to be running its own mailserver. It'd be a much smarter (and cheaper) option to have someone like Dreamhost register and maintain your domain. You don't need a dedicated server. Just use a plan like their CodeMonster - it's $15 a month forever if you set it up right now. That gives you 300 mailboxes (which support secure POP and IMAP), 15 different domains if you need them, unlimited sub-domains, 2.5 gigs of Web and mail storage space. You can still use your Xserver as an internal fileserver.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I'm kind of in the state where I will either out source for a mail/webserver or get my own Xserve. If your business has the bandwidth, as in T1 line, I would say Xserve and set it up yourself and have your mail forwarded. If you don't, then out source, and that deal the guy posted above sounds nice. I might just go with that myself so I can stop running up my electric bill with my server at home.

6. PaulSbird macrumors newbie

For a small business, I'd say westside is right on the money. Perhaps set up an xserve as a file and print server. Ease of networking is what got me into apple 12 years ago and with OS X you've got a lot more powerful tools when you're ready. the xserve classes are a good idea as well as same basic books.

Paul