Mac Networking Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacLuver23, Mar 5, 2002.

1. MacLuver23 macrumors member

I don't know if you would call it networking...but you decide. My friend at school showed off his "computer skills" by accessing his Windows XP Desktop and all of its files over the internet at our school. Our school has a high speed connection and so do my friend and I. My question is can I do the same. I meen can I keep my mac on and access all the files and maybe even the desktop from a Mac or even a PC? It was just something I was thinking about. If anyone can help. I think there is a program called ---"Timbucktu"--- or something like that. I need help, thank you! :-D

2. theranch macrumors 6502

hmmm

I don't know if it can be done natively but with Timbuktu you can do this.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Web Sharing

It can be done native but I don't recommend it.Websharing allows file access, Timbuktu actually allows control of the Desktop and Applications too like a KVM. It's cool but it's also a very risky thing to leave on. I have the websharing extensions disabled and a firewall blocking ALL websharing. It's like having a screen door on a loading dock.

That feature of XP is also it's gaping back door. All that hullabuloo about XP being "hacker friendly" was from this one feature. Get your friend's IP and log into his file system. Change the name of anything with ".init" on the end of it. You should be able to hear the screams wherever you are. :D

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I was going to recommend renaming some choice .dll files as well.... you know the ones that most of window$ require just to run. You could also hunt for a ntoskrnl.exe file (believe that is the name) and either delete or rename it to something else. Without that, he will get a blue screen of death (system dump) that is next to impossible to recover from without re-installing the OS. :D

Just being evil... it's easy to be that way to windblows, or is that noseblows???

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

((must suppress maniacal laughter))

I wonder if you can write an applescript to remove the suffixes from all filenames on a networked volume.