Mac Networking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SychoBC, Feb 17, 2004.

1. SychoBC macrumors member

I have my iMac connected to the internet and have access to some sites, such as this one and ESPN.com, but other Astros.com, MLB.com, and Techtv.com I cannot access. Like the websites don't exist or are down, even though I can access them from a Windows machine. Anyone know why it's like this? It happens in both Safari and IE.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you call you isp. if you can verify with two different machine then it probably isn't you. if you are using a router/switch to connect to the internet that could be the problem too, but i doubt it. call your isp. the tech will probably think you are crazy at first, but it sounds like the names are resolving from your nameserver.

to test this find a nslookup website that you can goto look up www.techtv.com

then open safari and try to goto the ip address techtv.com. if that works it probably your isp nameserver. explain that to the tech on the phone so he won't have you got through all the stupid troubleshooting steps to find out what is wrong with your Mac. also mention that you have verified your problem on two computers.

3. SychoBC thread starter macrumors member

They work on my windows machine which is connected the exact same way, from Cable Modem -> Linksys Router -> D-Link Router -> iMac

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your Mac is going through two routers?? I suggest that you ditch the D-Link. If you need additional ports, just connect a hub to your Linksys. Then connect your Mac to the hub.

If you don't believe the D-Link is your problem, connect your Mac directly to the Linksys and see what happens.

5. SychoBC thread starter macrumors member

The linksys is downstairs, and is a wired, while the d-link is upstairs and is a wireless, it makes sense to have the wireless up stairs where we are most of the time. Better connection.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

from terminal in your mac type:
    dig www.techtv.com

after you get their ip address can you enter their website from the ip address?

have you tried power cycling your routers?