Mac newbie frustrated with Word 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuckmcc, Aug 3, 2004.

1. chuckmcc macrumors newbie

Hi...thanks for being here. I just installed OPffice 2004 on my employer's iMac. In using Word, I went to search for a file using File>Open>Find file... but it's not there any more. There's no "Find File" option in that dialog box. Word help--well, it doesn't. It only seems to know about find & replace within a document. Mere days ago we were using Word X for Mac, and it exists there (also in Word 2000 for PC--I'm bi-platform and this feature is incredibly helpful) Can anyone help me with this?

Chuck

2. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I'll check this out at home tonight. If nothing else you can use Finder finding. What OS are you running?

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm a newbie too, but I just took a look at the view>toolbars>customize menu. On the commands tab with 'File' selected, there's a toolbar button called 'Find Files'. If you drag that to your toolbar it sounds like it does what you want.

Good luck

4. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I am using Office 2004, and i don't have that option.

5. chuckmcc thread starter macrumors newbie

Frustrated newbie

I'll check this out at home tonight. If nothing else you can use Finder finding. What OS are you running? I'll check this out at home tonight. If nothing else you can use Finder finding. What OS are you running?

Thanks... Im running OS X 10.2.8

chuckmcc@usa.net

6. chuckmcc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion... when i do that, the icon stays on the toolbar, but it remains greyed out, and unavalaible. What am I missing?

Chuck

7. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I'm seeing this, too. It may be tomorrow night before I can look into it further. I'm running 10.3.4. Microsoft help isn't showing anything on this function either.

Edit: I tried assigning a keyboard shortcut to this, but there is still no activity when I use it. I wonder if MSFT didn't finish this feature? May need to ask them what's up with that item.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I guess I should have checked it worked before I posted - I get the same unresposive button too. Sorry