Mac Newbie - Just convert need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by byewinblows, May 15, 2005.

1. byewinblows macrumors newbie

May 15, 2005
    Hi Guys, after 3 years with windows and 5 years with linux, i'm converting to Mac, i'm still running Linux on my powermac, but wanted to give tiger a try on my new mac mini.

I got couple questions

1. Do i need to defrag my harddrive on MAC like windows? or i can ignore it like i did on ReiserFS

2. Do i need anti virus for tiger or i can also ignore it like on linux

Thanks for your help in advance :p
  2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    no to defrag and no to anti virus BABY!!!!

welcome to mac osx :)

hope your experience is as enjoyable as mine has been so far :D
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    (1) - I don't know what ReiserFS is, but yes, you can ignore it. There are a bunch of reasons why, but basically, small files are automatically defragged, and in general HFS+ will take care of itself. There are more detailed threads here on that topic.

(2) - Basically yes, for the same reasons. If you got away with it in Linux, you should be fine in OS X too. The same basic reason for AV in both cases applies -- protecting Windows computers / users with whom you work from viruses on windows files that are passing through your machine. Also, actually, I'm not sure how many of the virus programs have been updated to OS X. But there are no known viruses or worms for OS X, and only a couple of Trojans (a couple of years ago) which you are unlikely to see / fall for.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I believe that when you install a program and it "Optimizes your Hard disk," that is how the Mac keeps things (somewhat) defragmented. Don't know for sure, though.
  5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    If I recall correctly, the hard drive defragging is done on the fly under OS X. There are some exceptions based on file size or something... I don't recall the details. The "optimizing" that occurs after installations is pre-binding which is used to speed up the launching and use of an application.
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the optimization is actually prebinding for the app at hand and helps with the speed and lunch of apps, but defragging is done on the fly for most files, unless they are over 2 gigs or something like that i think, not sure about the exact size limits
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I've heard that the optimizing is actually updating prebindings, but one way or another, it works. :)

This is actually the full text from a document on Apple's website that discusses this issue.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    You need to repair permissions on a weekly basis to keep your system running at max. Don't get virus software, it will only mess up your computer.