Mac newbie question re: downloading MIDI files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dkeninitz, Mar 8, 2003.

1. dkeninitz macrumors regular

After 20 yrs. of PC's, I just bought my first Mac, a TiBook, 1ghz (great machine). I used Explorer for a week, then got the Safari browser. I can't figure out how to download MIDI files from sites I visit. In Windows, I just right click on the MIDI title and choose "save target as". When I try the same trick on my Mac, my only options have to do with saving the link, rather than downloading the actual file. It doesn't matter whether I'm in Explorer or Safari, I get the same pop-up menu. It's not the site, 'cuz I just downloaded a couple of files on my Windows PC w/ no problem. Any help is appreciated.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Isn't there a "Download Link to Disk" option in Safari?

3. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

yup

EDIT : now thats the way to title a question thread :)

Attached Files:

4. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but when choose it, it download a link rather than the actual file.

5. moby1 macrumors 6502

hmmm...

Could you post a link to a page that has these links? I'd like to verify this problem and maybe find a solution.

6. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

download link to disk

always works for me, movies mp3's midi files, you name it! you sure you have tried opening the file in quicktime player after you download it?

7. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Re: hmmm...

Turns out it was a freak coincidence that the first few pages I tried it on only had HTML links...since then I've had no problem. Thanks for the help.

8. mhcl2008 macrumors newbie

Saving midi as source from browser

Since tiger and quicktime 7.0.1 I have been unable to save midi as source either on safari or firefox? is the problem with quicktime. This applies both to my powerbook 15" al and my son's new PB 12". Any ideas?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There should be two ways to do it. If right clicking doesn't work, as described above, let it start playing in the browser window. You get a white browser window with just the Quicktime logo and a progress bar, right? If you click File->Save As in Safari at this point, if should save the MIDI file. It does on my 10.4.2 and Safari....

10. mhcl2008 macrumors newbie

Thank you. I just discovered this myself a moment ago. It works. But before the new upgrades 'save as source' had worked. Thanks again.