MAC newbie - think there must be something wrong with my Safari??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by warhead, Nov 19, 2006.

1. warhead macrumors newbie

Hi all,

nice to meet you all!! Id really appraciate some help, if you can??

I have never owned a mac before, but had my brand-spanking-new MacBook Pro delivered last Friday. It's the 2.33GHz version with the 15" screen and 2GB Memory. (presumably these details will help anyone to diagnose my problem??). All in all i'm quite impressed...so far, although it is going to take a bit of gettign used to!!

One issue I am having is this -> i have obviously been using a PC 'til now, running windows XP and have been using it on my wireless LAN with no problems at all. The connection is very fast (has just been upgraded by the ISP too), and IE has always been very quick to load pages on it. I have now changed to my MBPro and it seems to take forever to load the webpages!! I don't really understand why?!

Obviously this is a new computer, so there is no massive backlog of cookies, and the cache is pretty empty too...having said that, i have tried resetting Safari, but this had no effect on it's performance...

I have done a few searches on this topic and have tried the 'fix' which involves decreasing the render time from the terminal, but this didn't seem to have any effect either.

The wireless signal strength is at full, btu i have not had chance to test the cable speed yet.

The reason that it seems so slow is that when i click on a link or type a URL and press 'Enter', Safari just seems to hang for a few seconds before it does anything....the URL stays highlighted, with no sign of the blue loading bar making an appearance. When the page does finally start to load, it just seems to make much slower progress than IE ever used to, even when the signal strength was much lower (in another part of my house)!

Sorry for the length of this post; just figured that the more detail i could give, the easier it would be for someone to give some useful advice....

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated...being so new to Macs i am feeling pretty lost!!

Many thanks,

Nick :)

2. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

That's puzzling behaviour. This is not meant as an insult but I presume you have tried plain old rebooting? A more severe measure might be to reinstall Mac OS X. However, I'd wait for a few more responses from others who know more about this problem than I do.

3. miniguu macrumors regular

I'm not an expert, but try downloading another browser such as Firefox and giving that a go before reinstalling the OS. The problem may be Safari itself, although it's puzzling that a new config would have that problem in the first place.

4. warhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!!

I know, it seems puzzling to me too.

I have jsut taken your advice and downloaded Firefox. It seems to have the same problem as Safari does. When i initially open a Firefox window and it starts to load the homepage (http://news.bbc.co.uk), it seems to hang on the while 'looking up' the site....the little cirlce graphic thing turns to show it's actually doing something, but it still seems to take a while. The loading of the page seems to take just as long too...

Might it be some sort of compatibilty with my router (Linksys Wireless-G Home Gateway)?

Also, when i FIRST turned my mac on, it did find my network, but wouldn't accept the password that i was using. So to begin with i told it that i did not want to connect to the internet. Once i was actually up and running with the computer I clicked on the newtork signal image in the top right hand corner of the screen and selected my network from there. This time i was able to input my password correctly because i could change the password type to WEP 128bit hexadecimal encryption (which is what my network is using). That is the only settting that i have put into the computer, so is there a lot more setup that i should have done, or should it just work properly straight from just selecting the network??

You have to understand my reluctance to re-install Mac OS X as i am so new to this technology and wouldn't have a clue what to do if it started to go pear-shaped!!

JonHarris: Don't worry about insulting me....surprisingly enough i used to work in software support (windows based, with linux servers) and the number of times that people who rang in hadn't even tried restarting their machines was unbelievable!! Like i said, i'm kinda struggling a bit to get used to the way Mac OS X works....:confused:

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This could be that DNS problem that some people have had. I'll do a search and see if I can find it....

There's something about it here. It doesn't really say anything other than check your DNS settings.

Try and check out your DNS settings in System Preferences -> Network, try out any obvious fixes that you can think of, and if you can't think of anything, post your DNS settings and more info about your internet connection and maybe someone else will have suggestions.

6. warhead thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW!! Thanks Gekko!! Followed that link and the more i read, the more it sounded like my problem...entered the DNS servers and my view of Safari has just risen by a million percent!! My browser is now flying!! I have to admit i was having my doubts about it, but they're all gone now!

Thanks for all your help everyone! :D

7. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Warhead,

Glad to hear you got Safari working properly!

Anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Welcome and congrats on your new Mac :)