Mac newbie - want an old iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lopez.T.H., Jul 10, 2005.

1. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Hello. I would like to get into mac computers. But they are a lot more expensive than i hoped. I just want a mac that can get me aquainted with OS X. I saw an older Apple iBook G3. It had a funky clamshell design. Does anybody have one of these.

2. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

I Want an old iBook

I looked on ebay and have found some great deals. I was looking at the old G3 iBook with the funky clamshell design. Except I am not a big fan of ebay. Does anybody know an online store where i could get one of these old iBooks?

[Note from moderator: You started two threads so we merged them.]

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I have one of the first clamshell ibooks, and to be quite honest, mac os X is a bit too much for it,

for starters, it only has an 800x600 res screen, it is extremely limiting, most websites will need side scrolling, and some apps simply dont fit at all!

And, if you got by the apple specs the first 300Mhz clamshells are limited to 160Mb of ram, no where near enough, however, i think you can put a 512Mb stick in there,

Basicly, they were great at the time (mine was in regular use up to a couple of weeks ago), there are far better apple machines to spend some money on :)

Look at the later ibooks, somewhere around 600Mhz G3, these have a 1024x768 screen, enough for comfortable use of mac os and other apps, and as long you you fill up the ram (728Mb i think, maybe 640Mb, i can't remember) it should run fairly smoothly.

If you dont need a portable, have a look at the old G4 powermacs, as long as you alredy have a screen the cost of the machine shouldn't be much different to an ibook, and will most likely be a good bit quicker

4. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. that helped a lot. i think ill just shell out $1200 for a iBook G4.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats probably the best option as if you plan to run OS X Clamshell iBook's are of no use....

Maybe have a look into the first generation of iBook G4's i know they are pretty cheap on ebay and are more a less the same as the present iBooks apart from there processor is a bit slower....

ShadOW ;)

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Sadly, mine's been confined to the cupboard for the last month. It's a tragic loss, but it just can't cut it anymore, even simple web browsing was too hard for it in the end.

7. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

*sniff*

8. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

9. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

A mac mini wouldn't be bad if you have a monitor that is, other wise its really not worth it. I just got a new iBook and its alright, but I have no idea why you would want an older one. G3's are just not cutting it any more and I would reccomend at least a G4, but if its out of your price range then don't got below a 800Mhz G3. But you really shouldn't try to do anything other than word processing and surfing the net on it. If you're looking to run X get at least 512MB of RAM. Well, like I said I like my iBook just fine, but if I were you a little waiting might pay off since an iBook update is due any day now.

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

go iBook all the way, i'm about to get one as soon as i save up 440 bucks, i've got exactly 1000... (total price is 1440.75 with tax [free shipping])

The specs i'm getting sounds like this

iBook G4 14"
    Combo Drive
    512MB RAM
    32MB ATI 9200 Graphics
    80GB HDD
    Airport Extreme (Wireless 802.11 G)
    Bluetooth

All for a whopping $1440.75!
    Hopefully the iBooks are updated soon :(.

You'll be happy with your purchase either way, Mac Minis really aren't that bad, but the iBooks are great too :D.

11. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Ummm, I would wait on that iBook purchase. That update is going to be any time now. And it will probably include more than just a better processor. You'll most likely get a better graphics card too. I would be holding off on that purchase.

12. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I would predict something like 1.33Mhz/1.5Mhz for 12/14 inch and then most likely a 64MB graphics card, and they might even include 512MB RAM, however that might be unlikely. I think it would be worth the wait for the graphics card. The HD's might go up to to either 40GB and 60GB or 60GB and 80GB. In any case I would wait.

13. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

well... yeah! I'm going to wait for the update, of course!

I'm going to buy it when i get the money (assuming that the iBooks have been updated).... but if they aren't updated, I am going to wait :(

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Just a correction - it's GHz not MHz, 1.33MHz is like so 10 years ago! LOL
    No big deal :)

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dude your liveing in the past, 1.33MHz is like 25 years ago, jeeze

16. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Whoa, sry guys I definately meant Ghz back there. There's no way any one would be releasing anything in Mhz any more. Sorry about the typo...

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What is your budget? A Mac mini is the lowest priced Mac and would be a good place to start. Knowing what you can spend would help. A refurb could also be an option.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

sun, IBM, pegasus, pocket calculators......

19. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yeah. I saw that too. 10 Years ago? :eek: WTF? 25 years ago sounds about right.

20. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Well my budget. lowes priced good mac to about $800.

21. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Then yeah, check out the Mac mini or the eMac (essentially the same system but with built-in 17" display). But do check out the buying tips forum -- there have been lots and lots of similar posts there and you can find lots of people's opinions of the various systems.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

How about this one? (can't vouch for this store)

$650 for a refurb iBook. Then I'd bump up the RAM to 640 MB. Not a bad machine for testing out Macs.

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The eMac is a good computer, despite it's position in the product lineup. The best thing to do is research the product lineup and decide on what best suits your needs. If it is not in your immediate price range, it might be worth waiting a little while longer to get what you really need. Apple.com has all of the information you need, and good user opinions exist throughout the site here.

24. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would recommend the Mac Mini. It very small, fast, and can handle a lot of apps at once. It's a decent price too. Just plug in your own usb mouse/keayboard/monitor and you are set to go.

25. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Wait a year - get an Intel-based mac. It will be around longer, and if Apple plays their cards right - it will be a little cheaper.

Either way, I would wait.

And if you wait for the switch - the market will be saturated with PPC based macs. That's your best bet for a cheap PPC based mac I think.

But seriously? Just wait. Wait!