Mac Newbie - Your HW/SW recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adarack, Nov 1, 2006.

1. adarack macrumors newbie

Hello-

I've been a Windows guy for the past 10 years and want to step into the world of Macs. I want to start by downloading many hours of video from tapes from my video camera and play around with some highly regarded Mac video editing software. I've been an IT guy for a while, just not on the Mac side of things, so I'm not a computer newbie, just a Mac newbie.

That said, I don't need a new computer with all the bells, whistles, and upgraded software, just something that for the time being I can use for video editing and getting used to using and configuring a Mac. I'm guessing something a few years old will do what I need and I'd appreciate some recommendations on what system to get (hardware, os, video editing software, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Adam

2. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

Unless you need portability it sounds like an iMac is perfect for you. It has lots of screen real estate for working on videos and it's got plenty of power. The only downside is the lack of any real upgrade path for the parts.

I would look into the 2.0ghz $1299 model that comes with a stock 1gb of ram and a 160gb hard drive.

To really get the most out of your Mac you will want to buy some third party compatible ram (to save money) and upgrade to 2gb of ram. Also a large 400gb+ external hard drive would let you work on your movies and it removes the risk that if the operating system files ever become corrupted you won't lose the work.

iLife includes iMovie which is more than enough for anyone who wants to make even semi-professional looking projects. You can always buy the copy of Final Cut Express if you find yourself limited in the future.

Sorry If I am throwing a lot at you all at once but I haven't the time right now to explain myself out in full as I have to leave. I hope others here can add more to this and really help you more.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I would go with a MacBook with the DVD burner. But then again, I <3 laptops.

an iMac is a good idea if you don't want the portability though. Oh, and I'd get an intel mac, no matter what. Sure the G5 machines can be fast, but intel's the way of the future, and if you buy a newish one, you're sure to get the latest OS and iLife suit (which has iMovie, which is what you've been hearing about).

I did an entire short film in iMovie for my senior project, and it was amazing.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you want portability, a Macbook. If you want affordability, a Mac mini. If you want the best value for your money, an iMac. I also recommend David Pogue's Switching to the Mac: Tiger Edition.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

actually, the 2GB upgrade is only $175 on the iMac - i think that's a pretty good deal. plus you don't have to worry about removing the third party RAM should the computer ever need to be serviced by Apple (for the OP, who might not know this, Apple doesn't like when you use third party hardware, so they'll refuse to service your machine if you have any installed - that's why it's important to either get Apple hardware (RAM, hard drive upgrades) or keep the original sticks of RAM).