Mac Noob wants a game

Discussion in 'Games' started by efree58, Feb 19, 2006.

1. efree58 macrumors newbie

Another Windows user converted. I bought a cheap 500mhz ibook and running 10.4.5. Love it but don't know what games I could play on it. I like first person shooters best but on this machine that would be pretty damn intensive. I just want to have something to play with on my down time. Any suggestions would be awesome.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... it's a bit of an older machine so you might not have much luck with the latest, greatest titles out there. It might be an idea for you to take a look at Game Agent – it's a little app that looks at your setup and tells you how well (or how not so well) Aspyr titles will run on it.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I used to have a 500 MHz iBook. The pitiful graphics card couldn't even run Jedi Knight 2...Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force might work on lower settings though.

4. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Game Agent is a completely useless application unless you don't know how to look up the specs on your machine and then match them up with a game's requirements.

Anyways, some cool games you can play are Oni, Red Faction (FPS), Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1 (FPS), Another War, Clive Barker's Undying (FPS), Alice, 4x4 Evolution, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, No One Lives Forever 1 (FPS), Sin Gold (FPS), Payback, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (FPS), Aliens vs. Predator Gold (FPS), Gangland, Max Payne, Spider-Man, Wipeout 2097, Civilization III Complete, and KickOff '02

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would have to recommend Age of Empires one and two and Diablo II.

7. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Starcraft and it's amazing ability to run on anything, no matter how slow!

Mutant Storm is a fun little game you can download, and Neverball, if you have a joystick (but you need to fiddle with a config file to get it to work...)

Maybe Gish?

*goes through apps folder*

Ricochet Lost Worlds, Black Shades (I don't know how, but I've had way too much fun with that little thing, it's much better with a multi-button mouse, though), Pocket Tanks is really fun... Enigmo 2...

There's not really too many games that I can think of that would run on that old a computer...

Just check out macgamefiles.com and insidemacgames.com

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Definitely recommend all the Blizzard apps (Diablo II and Starcraft will run well on that box, Warcraft III maybe, forget WoW), and that machine might be marginal for older Quake-engine games like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault , Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or No One Lives Forever 2, but those were all great (although NOLF2 was pretty buggy). There's a lot of other non-mainstream games that also would prolly work, such as Railroad Tycoon, pinball simulations, or any of the Ambrosia games, or if you want a really cool but obscure game, Clan Lord, which would certainly run fine on the iBook.

9. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

No One Lives Forever 2 is not a Quake-engine game, nor will it run on a 500 Mhz machine. It runs on the Lithtech engine by Monolith, and it needs at least a 700 Mhz machine.

10. yellow5 macrumors regular

11. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Ok, you need to shut up Yellow.

If you've really got a 2.7 Ghz Mac and don't play games, then you're wasting your powerful machine

12. mvelinder macrumors regular

A MacBook Pro could hold its own then eh?

Any websites for all these lists of games? I haven't found a Mac gaming website since I got my Mini a year and half ago.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Use Google much? ;) insidemacgames.com, macgamer.com, macgamedatabase.com

--Eric

14. neiltony macrumors newbie

doom 3 came today

doom 3 came today. I can load it into the macbook tomorrow when it shows up. It has a universal patch at the site. I think it should run really well!

15. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Don't get your hopes up too high. It stutters a bit on my machine, and I have a dual 2 Ghz G5 with an ATI X850 card and 1 Gig of RAM.

16. neiltony macrumors newbie

my findings

i will post my findings, but someone else already posted about this on another forum...they said it started out just slightly clicky, and then ran really smooth with great frame rate. We'll see.