Mac not recognising internet with Wireless (pc) network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by janmc, Sep 11, 2005.

1. janmc macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'd really appreciate some help. I'm trying to connect to a friends wireless network, and I can connect to the actual network no problem. But the internet isn't working for me, even though under System Prefs>Network, it says it's connected to the internet through this network. Someone else here with a PC is flying along on the net no problems, so the difficulty doesn't seem to be with the network, just with how my P-book is talking to it. I've been messing with the settings for a good couple of hours now and I'm going crazy. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
    Jan

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What are the security settings on the network? Is it 802.11B or 802.11G?

Is it possible that the network isn't allowing you to connect because it hasn't verified your MAC (the acronym, not the computer) address yet? Some wireless networks require each individual MAC address to be typed into the router for a more secure network.

3. janmc thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I talked to the guy who set up the network, but he has no restrictions at all set up. There are two guys with PC laptops working away here. I haven't had any problems using wireless networks before.

How do find out if its B or G?

Thanks for the reply BTW :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well I'd be very surprised if it wasn't either 802.11B or 802.11G. Let me get this straight though, you are on the network, you have filled in bars in the AirPort icon in your menu bar, but you cannot get through to any pages in any browser?

5. janmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes exactly. I thought it might be just a browser setting, so I tried Software Update just to see if it could connect, and it can't. Same for Mail. It's a real puzzle.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well I'm guessing it's a proxy issue. Now, I can tell you where you need to go to put the right information in but I don't know what that information will be. I had the same issue at uni and I simply had to ask one of the IT staff what the details were and then put in the right information in System Preferences under the Network tab, then select AirPort and the last tab along the top should read Proxies. You should probably do this in a new location so that you can simply reconnect to normal wireless networks using your regular location.

Ask whoever is in charge of the network if they either know the proxy details or if they can point you in the direction of a .PAC file which you can upload. Is this feasible? Is is a public network or is it a simple household network. If it's a household network, pretty much ignore what I'm saying because it's unlikely that it has been set up with such complexity.

7. janmc thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the crazy thing - it's just a household network. There is no reason why it shouldn't work, except that it isn't. :rolleyes: I'll mess around some more with the proxy settings. I was hoping it was something obvious that I was missing. Thanks a million for your help