Mac not starting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by russlachanse, Aug 2, 2005.

1. russlachanse macrumors newbie

I just restarted my mac and it seemed to be going fine until a screen came up only giving me the option to restart or shut down. I tried restarting several times with the same message being displayed.
    Thanks for your help
    Russ

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. russlachanse thread starter macrumors newbie

it's different than that...

Yellow,
    Thanks for your reply
    It's not that screen. (OS X.2)
    When I start the computer it comes up like normal with the progress bar then the screen turns blue as normal but instead of the documents and folders appearing on the desktop a dialog box with my computer's name shows up and only gives me the option of restart or shut down. I think the first time it happened it told me that I couldn't be logged in but I never got that message again.
    Thanks

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmmm.. almost like a login screen with no user to log into? Something like this, without the users?

[​IMG]

5. russlachanse thread starter macrumors newbie

yes very close to that

yes very close to that
    with only the restart and shut down option

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm that's really strange, I've never encountered that. Do you normally have autologin? There's no chance to choose a user/enter a username and enter a password?

I'd start by booting from the installer CD/DVD and running Disk Utility and running first aid on the disk.

7. russlachanse thread starter macrumors newbie

I do normally have autologin and There's no chance to choose a user/enter a username and enter a password. I've never seen it either. I'll try to use the start up disk
    Thanks

Russ

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that you will be successful. Are you running Repair Permissions occasional and especially after major installations?

9. russlachanse thread starter macrumors newbie

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Repair Permissions - Everything that you use on OS X, has permissions. You have to have certain permissions to run certain things. Root is the permission-less master of all these permissions being it is a Super User and has read/write permission to any/everything basically.