Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russlachanse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I just restarted my mac and it seemed to be going fine until a screen came up only giving me the option to restart or shut down. I tried restarting several times with the same message being displayed.
Thanks for your help
Russ

russlachanse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
it's different than that...

Yellow,
Thanks for your reply
It's not that screen. (OS X.2)
When I start the computer it comes up like normal with the progress bar then the screen turns blue as normal but instead of the documents and folders appearing on the desktop a dialog box with my computer's name shows up and only gives me the option of restart or shut down. I think the first time it happened it told me that I couldn't be logged in but I never got that message again.
Thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmmm.. almost like a login screen with no user to log into? Something like this, without the users?

attachment.php

russlachanse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
yes very close to that

yes very close to that
with only the restart and shut down option

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm that's really strange, I've never encountered that. Do you normally have autologin? There's no chance to choose a user/enter a username and enter a password?

I'd start by booting from the installer CD/DVD and running Disk Utility and running first aid on the disk.

russlachanse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I do normally have autologin and There's no chance to choose a user/enter a username and enter a password. I've never seen it either. I'll try to use the start up disk
Thanks

Russ

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I hope that you will be successful. Are you running Repair Permissions occasional and especially after major installations?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Repair Permissions - Everything that you use on OS X, has permissions. You have to have certain permissions to run certain things. Root is the permission-less master of all these permissions being it is a Super User and has read/write permission to any/everything basically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.