Mac Office 04/Powerpoint help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chosenwolf, Feb 22, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

In powerpoint, I cannot get the left side to display slides instead of the slide text while in outline view. On my PC, I can just toggle between slide/outline views. Any help appreciated.

2. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If I understand what you're saying, my Mac Office shows what you're asking. It was automatic, so I'm not sure how to set it up. The slide is on the right side while in outline view, with notes below the slide.

Attached Files:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you saying you just want to see one slide in the whole window, or that you want to have slide thumbnails on the left, and the slide on the right, like the presenter tools mode, while you're editing? I don't think I've ever seen that in Office on Windows.

There are a row of buttons in the lower left corner of the main Powerpoint window. These toggle through all the basic views -- the leftmost one shows a large editing window and small notes and outline windows. The next one shows just a single slide. And there's a slide sorter mode, too, but I don't think you can edit the slides from inside it. These are the same view options I've seen on Windows, so I'm not exactly sure if you mean something different.

5. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I have the same exact view available as you but notice on the left how there is text "The begining..."

Well in Windows Powerpoint you can have the option to make that whole left side a slide view (first slide in a little box, slide number 2 under it, slide num 3 under that, and so on and so forth.... while still having the actual slide that you selected from this left column shown full sized on the right side.

Here is a screenshot of the windows pp. Notice how you can have a slide view on the left side instead of the actual slide text.

[​IMG]

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wasn't even aware they added that to Windows PPT! I don't think it's in Office 2004. It's a nice feature, though.... :(

7. Gary King macrumors 6502

How can I do this on OS X?

8. enckwanzer macrumors member

Keynote does it ;)

9. Gary King macrumors 6502

I have a .ppt (PowerPoint file) that I work on with other people on a team that uses PowerPoint on Windows. Can Keynote work well with PowerPoint?

10. rswc90 macrumors newbie

Problem with keynote is that it does not have the sophistication that PPT does in creating the initial program. At least, I have not found it to be comparable at all. BUT... I am struggling with ppt as well, for similar reasons -- and others. looks like this is a slow group -- I hope the question was answered! :p

11. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

You can't.

PowerPoint 2004 doesn't have the slide view when in the "3 pane" view like Office 2000, 2002 and 2003. It only has the 'outline' view in the LHS.

PowerPoint 2008 does do this, but it's knackered in so many other ways that it's not worth using (corrupts files, breaks many objects on the page, etc.).

12. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

Short answer: no.

Whilst KeyNote will read and write PowerPoint files, it will do it's interpretation of what PowerPoint does, therefore it'll mess things up (from the perspective of the Office/Windows users).

KeyNote can be used if you're importing presentations from PowerPoint. However you have to be prepared to do some remedial work where the import doesn't fully work.

I think it's reasonable to say that Office/Windows users will get a bit narked if they send you a file and it's "broken" when it's returned.

The same will go for Open Office, etc.

This is why it's so important for MS to get Office 200x working. PowerPoint 2004 is pretty much interoperable with PowerPoint 2003. It's possible that PowerPoint 2008 is interoperable with PowerPoint 2007, but it can shag files when saving in the 'old' format.

13. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

just get 2008 powerpoint. it is awesome!!! it shows the slides OR text on the left bar. It is worth the upgrade.

14. Gary King macrumors 6502

This thread is 2 years old guys. Get over it.

15. rswc90 macrumors newbie

So here's something I still need help on...

So, I now have a question, then! I love the presenter view when I am presenting -- the problem is that I also use a wireless "presenter" to click through the slides. All is great until I move the cursor away from the right "forward" box with the arrow. Then, my slides click through one slide at a time -- NOT one click (line) at a time. Is there a setting I am missing?

Here's the scene for clarification: I am across the room from the laptop that is wired to the LCD projector. I am in the middle of my ppt & I have a slide that actually has 4 clicks in it. On click #2, I have a link where I need to find the cursor (with my wireless presenter) and click on the hypertext link to go live to the internet. Once I have done that, I close the internet by clicking on the 'x' in the upper left corner & I end up back at the 'normal' view of ppt -- I click on the slide, and it returns me to the ppt slide where I was. (Many steps -- I know -- maybe there's a shortcut?!) now, if I do not return the cursor to the upper rt corner & place it in the box with the forward arrow, when I click the wireless presenter, I go to the next slide rather than to the next
    line.

Is that clear as mud? :apple:

Any thoughts? Thanks!