Mac Office 2008 Hits Private Beta

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to apcmag.com, Microsoft's Office 2008 for Mac has proceeded into private beta stages of development (note: mirror may be slow).

Microsoft announced Office 2008 for Mac at Macworld San Francisco in January, and previewed an alpha release which included features from Office 2007 for Windows such as the Ribbon, and new Mac-only features such as a Publishing Layout View that will allow Word users to create layout-rich documents (newsletters, fliers, and brochures), Ledger Sheets in Excel, and "My Day" priority tracking in Entourage.

Microsoft has stated that Office 2008 will be a Universal Binary, and will bring compatibility with Office 2007 for Windows' Open XML file format. To the dismay of many corporate and cross-platform users, however, Microsoft has said that it will not be supporting Visual Basic scripting.

2. macrumors 68000

crees!

Bubbling up better not be anything like those Windows System Tray balloons you get ALL THE TIME.

3. macrumors 68040

elppa

Will this likely be the last release for the Macintosh?

4. macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'll be interested to see what the final product looks like because so far, I've been less-than-impressed with some of the screenshots I've seen.

5. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Cool. So in MS time we're looking at a release around June 2011. Can't wait!

6. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

Ui

Being MS, I wouldn't' imagine them having any inside track to Leopard's UI, assuming there are UI changes (surely there must be, right?).

7. yzp
    macrumors regular

yzp

Damn, 4 freaking years!!!!! :eek:

8. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

I think they have to support the Mac until 2011, correct? That includes the same number of major releases for the Mac than for the PC. I would bet they'll make one more... unless they extend the contract again, which MS will undoubtedly drag their feet on, seeing as how they'll do just about anything to kill the Mac... rather keep it at 5% Market Share so that MS isn't a monopoly. *laughs*

-Clive

9. macrumors 6502a

johnee

i knew we would be in single digits when leopard was brought up :)

10. macrumors 6502a

Object-X

Microsoft needs better designers

Let's hope they do a better job with the Mac version, because Office 2007's UI is horrid! It's just plain fugly. I much prefer Office 2003, and I'm not talking about the ribbon menus either, just the overal UI appearance is terrible and clashes with every other windows application. And Vista isn't much better for that matter. Why do they put exagerated drop shadows on all four sides of a window? It looks terrible.

11. macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm sure for some people having a Mac version of MS Office is essential, but I'm equally as sure for others it's really not that essential (but they think it is). For the past two years I've used Pages to replace MS Word and have never had an issue. I don't send .doc files via email that's what pdf's are for and on the rare occasion when I receive a .doc rather than a pdf Pages has handled it well.

12. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

13. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

most people 'THINK' they need ms office, others keep it as a security blanket, (remember a lot of people are making the os just, take it one step at a time) we all know neo office and iwork (if it gets excel equivelent will do), neo office supports macros, ms office 2007/8 for mac does not.

14. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

The ribbon is a disgrace. It eats even more document space than the thirty rows of buttons.

Third party productivity suites: Now is your time to shine... XML has opened document format compatability for much less hassle! Go! Steal that Market Share! But most importantly, bring us an elegant, simple yet power set of productivity tools!

-Clive

15. macrumors 65816

Same here. I haven't written tons of documents in either outside of work since most of my communication is via e-mail, but when I do I use pages. I initially still used Word for some envelope support but the Pages envelope printing options are nicer.

16. macrumors 6502a

I care about one thing: Will it FINALLY do Hebrew? (Or any Right-to-left language, for that matter...)

17. macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I don't think so. Microsoft has enough Monopoly problems right now imagine the outrage you will get from the EU and DOJ if MS drops Office for the Mac.

Secondly if Microsoft stops Office for the Mac, A lot of the Mac people will switch to Linux. Normally if a person who doesn't like Microsoft will either go with Linux or a Mac. The reason why they go with Mac a lot of the time is because Office is there so they feel that they wont loose anything. But without office Next Upgrade cycle they may just consider Linux on a cheaper PC. What will not happen is droves of Mac users switching to windows. So better off keeping them on the Mac and make money selling your product to people who generally hate you.

Third Mac Users and office for the Mac are a good experimental base for the next version of office. They are able to try new things without a major public outcry, from companies.

Forth it is profitable.

Fifth, it will keep droves of people who know what good User Interfaces are from decided to contribute there effort in making programs like open office good.

Apples iWork suit is by no way close to office. It is at best closer to MS. Works.

18. macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

19. macrumors 6502

I have used versions of office on PC for years, and it has come along way. I've heard that people love the newest version of office, although i havne't tried it. But I have no intentions of having office on my mac. I've tried the 30 demo that came with my powerbook and I didn't mind it, its just there is NO way i'm spending 400-500 dollars on a home office suite!

I"m waiting for iwork07 to come along.

although i hope iwork07 comes before 08 ...

20. macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'll likely get it when it comes out since 1) the academic price is reasonable, and 2) I still run across occasional oddities with document formatting whenever I try to move away from it (be it with Pages, or NeoOffice, or Abiword, or whatever). MS Office is still the defacto standard where I work, so compatibility does matter.

Of course if this one wasn't going to be universal then I'd just stick with v.X, since that still does what I need.

21. Retired

psychofreak

Yeah, I use Pages for taking my notes in school and NeoOffice for more advanced things...

22. macrumors 601

Westside guy

I admit to being biased on this (having migrated from Windows -> Linux -> Mac); but based on my personal experience and what I observe around my department - there are likely a lot more people that move from Linux to Mac than the other way around. As a matter of fact, Macs have made much stronger inroads here among the Linux/BSD/Solaris crowd than they have among Windows users.

I should qualify this, and note that I'm strictly speaking about their desktop/laptop machines. On the server end I think we've got a grand total of TWO Xserves, compared to several hundred RHEL Linux boxes.

23. macrumors 65816

24. Retired

psychofreak

25. Moderator emeritus

kainjow