mac office v.X ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acoustics940, Dec 27, 2006.

1. acoustics940 macrumors member

I am getting a macbook soon and I am a student so I have to buy the most expensive plastic disc I have ever purchased in my life... Microsoft office I have found maf offic 2004 for $150 and this Mac office v.X what is the diffrence the v.x is cheaper is it the same thing??

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

X is previous version, 2004 is current version. I know 2004 student version has 3 licenses, so its like 3 copies for $150 (macmall has it for $114)

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

2004 has increased features and a worked out several bugs present in v.x, now there are just tons of annoying aspects instead of endless amounts. You will notice the addition of notebook where you can record audio clips that are recorded and then connected to the text you are writing. Also the floating formatting palte saw some nice changes as well. it is not insanely different, just more robust features and an improved set of applications. I like 2004 much better than v.x and am a law student who is taking notes, outlining or writing briefs literally all day long.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Office: Mac v.10 is the equivalent of Office 2001 for Windows. Office: Mac 2004 is the equivalent of Office 2003 for Windows. You can find an educational version of 2004 for cheaper than that.

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

If you're a college student, you should check if your school has a volume license for Office before you buy it on your own. You may be able to check the disc out from the library or download it from the school network.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

DON'T BUY V.x, there are numerous problems with it. Entourage isn't worth bothering with, it crashes all the time, and Word will not let you use long file names or include a good number of special characters common to foreign names. Another bonus of Mac Office 2004 is that it has a compatibility checker for sending files to PCs.

7. rstorm macrumors regular

Look at Neo Office, its free and works great with MS office.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

v.X works all right, but the 31 character filename limit is annoying.

This close to MWSF, though, I would recommend waiting. One thing I'll be looking at is what Apple does with iWork this time around. For a lot of people Pages is probably all they'd need; but it (currently) has occasional problems with particular Word documents, so if Word compatibility is important then MS Office is the only way to go.

If you want to try a free alternative, another option (for Word anyway) is Abiword. Its Word compatibility is very good, and it's very lightweight.