Mac on Intel: Software Vendor Announcements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doctor Q, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Please post links to press releases or news stories about Macintosh software vendors' plans for supporting Mac OS X for the Intel architecture. We should be seeing a number of such announcements starting this week.

Some applications will need only a recompile while some will need more tinkering in order to produce an Intel-compatible version. Some software vendors will need to switch to Xcode. If a software vendor does nothing, Mac OS X on Intel will use Rosetta translation technology to run the PowerPC binary on Mac OS X for Intel, but better performance is to be expected if vendors recompile, and in some cases tune their applications, specifically for Intel.

What matters to us, as users, is knowing how software vendors plan to address the issue.

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

From the WWDC keynote presentation: Numeric calculation and modeling tool Mathematica by Wolfram Research, Inc. has already been ported in the lab. They will obviously be ready to ship a Mac on Intel version of Mathematica when Intel-based Macs are released by Apple next year.

News story: Software development system REALbasic by REAL Software Inc. will support both PPC and Intel, and applications developed with REALbasic will normally require only a recompile to run on Intel.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Press release: 3D modeling, animation, and rendering package CINEMA 4D by MAXON has been leading a "secret double life" and universal binaries are already running in their lab.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

That is amazing !!!

It's interesting how many people knew about it.

6. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

In a recent Macworld.com article, 21 different companies have commented on the Apple-Intel strategy. Many are voicing their commitment to the Apple Intel future …

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/08/saying/index.php

Adobe
    Bare Bones Software
    Chaotic Software
    Delicious Monster
    Elgato Systems
    Fetch Softworks
    FileMaker
    Hamrick Software
    Insider Software
    Intuit
    LaserSoft Imaging
    Mark/Space
    Microsoft
    MYOB
    Near-Time
    Panic
    ProVue Development
    Roxio
    Runtime Revolution
    SmileOnMyMac
    Wolfram Research

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Summary, after reading between the lines of the Macworld article:

Adobe (Creative Suite): committed to universal binaries

Bare Bones Software (BBEdit, Mailsmith, Super Get Info, TextWrangler): no commitment yet

Chaotic Software (Folder Spy, Fridge Magnets, King's Corner, Media Rage, Multimedia Tiler, Network Beacon, WebTimer): no commitment yet

Delicious Monster Software (Delicious Library): no commitment yet

Elgato Systems (eyetv, eyehome, eyeconnect): committed to universal binaries

Fetch Softworks (Fetch): plans to get software "ready for Intel" (ambiguous)

FileMaker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple (FileMaker): committed to "make the transition" (ambiguous)

Hamrick Software (VueScan, VuePrint): no commitment yet

Insider Software (FontAgent Pro): no commitment yet

Intuit (Quicken, TurboTax, QuickBooks): no commitment yet; talks of having the switch be transparent to end users (ambigiuos)

LaserSoft Imaging (SilverFast): porting to Xcode, implying universal binaries

Mark/Space (The Missing Sync): will "make the transition and support Apple's new hardware", implying universal binaries

Microsoft (Office, Virtual PC, Messenger, Windows Media, Remote Desktop Client, Outlook): will use Xcode to create universal binaries of MS Office

MYOB (MYOB): no commitment yet; will rely on Rosetta for the short term, looking at long term plans since they currently use CodeWarrior, not Xcode

Near-Time (Near-Time Current, Near-Time Flow, Near-Time Relay, Near-Time.net): no commitment yet

Panic (Unison, transmit, desktastic, CandyBar, stattoo): committed to "make a transition", implying universal binaries

ProVue Development (Panorama, SiteWarrior): no commitment yet

Roxio (Toast, Jam, Popcorn, The Boom Box): no commitment yet

Runtime Revolution Ltd. (Revolution, Dreamcard): will support the new "MacTel" architecture

SmileOnMyMac (PDFpen, disclabel, photoprinto, pagesender): commitment to universal binaries

Wolfram Research (Mathematica): committed to universal binaries

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Heopfully this will rest some concerns about software on the new platform. I'm thinking the transition might even be faster and smoother than anticipated.

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Add Photowarp to that list

If you're into QuickTimeVR 360° Pano's this one's for you:

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ryan Gordon reports success getting Intel versions running of Unreal Tournament 2004, Duke Nukem 3D, Feeding Frenzy, and Torque Game Engine.

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

13. vniow macrumors G4

The Colloquy IRC client is now provided as a universal binary download.

Firefox has been recompiled as well.

14. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

And don't forget, Codeweavers

"Mac OS Support
    Despite the fact that both CrossOver Office and Apple's MacOS are built atop Unix, CrossOver Office has been restricted to Linux because CrossOver Office requires Intel CPUs for optimal operation. Currently, Apple desktops use IBM PowerPC chipsets exclusively.
    With the move by Apple to the Intel chips in 2006, CodeWeavers will be providing a version of CrossOver Office for Macintosh users as well as extending its porting services to the Macintosh for Windows software developers. With this change, users and developers will be able to step over the applications barrier to entry and more freely choose their platforms, enabling a richer and more market driven computing landscape."

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This sounds like good news, and it may be, but I worry about it too. It may make it so a lot of developers figure that since people can run their Windows apps on the Mac without any changes, there's no need to develop Mac native versions. I don't really see a point in using a Mac if you're stuck using the (IMO awful) Windows interface, and have such inconsistencies between programs. This will be good as long as it doesn't decrease the amount of truly Mac-native software available.

16. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

This is a great thread, nice to know what is going on in the intel/mac world.
    i agree with you on the codeweavers porting thing. But the one huge advantage that i do see is that games will finally be able to come to mac. Cos gaming people always bitch about the fact that they dont want to change everything over to OpenGL. So i guess that WINE could help with that. I find this whole transition thing really interesting. i am really interested to see where we will be in a year from now.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Any news on Aspyr or any of the other Macintosh gaming companies? I wonder how the move to x86 is going to affect the games I've purchased over the last two years. :confused:

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

According to this July MacObserver article, many Mac game developers seem to be accepting the switch, although some are saying that if WINE gets ported over to OS X and if Windows games work natively on Macs, the Mac-gaming industry will see a downfall. The games you have purchased? They should run under Rosetta.

Also, Doctor Q, I think it is safe to take FileMaker off the list, because FileMaker is Apple!

irmongoose

19. mcarvin macrumors regular

Omni Group has a stealthy callout on their OmniGraffle page stating their existing product line will go Universal:

20. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks. I noted the subsidiary relationship in my post above. However, I have yet to see a press release about universal binaries at FileMaker's site. Only the "committed to making that transition" comment in an interview with Macworld.

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

rosetta to run games? i doubt that will work well. i'll just boot into windows... rosetta runs it at about 80% full speed and doesn't emulate altivec, so games will not run well at all.

22. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

23. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Rosetta was updated so it supports Altivec.

24. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Just noticed that one of my favorite Mac apps, MI-SUGAR, was released as a Universal Binary a couple days ago. I've already downloaded it, and am using the new version (which has a couple new features besides Intel support). http://www.macinit.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.