.mac or msn8 ???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hui__lim, Jan 10, 2003.

1. hui__lim macrumors regular

I'm a student living in the UK and am really attracted to the .mac account. However it costs $100 which is pretty expensive to a student. .mac services look pretty cool with all the support and the webpages etc. As i'm a recent switcher to Apple, I still have my hotmail account and received a "Upgrade to MSN 8" entitled e-mail. Upon studying the article, it states that there will be better junk mail handling services etc (well 100% needed as 50% of mail that comes in my inbox is junkmail). The thing that attracted me to this most was that it only costs £20 a year!!! Cheap compared to the $100 a year subscription fee to .mac services. MSN 8 also offers nearly all of the services given by .mac
    What I want to know is that is it worth going with MSN8 rather than changing to a .mac account. Can people with a .mac account and MSN8 account describe to as what they think i should do. REMEMBER i''m a student and money does matter. Thanks...
    Apple noobie

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well first off MSN is an ISP and .mac is not, if you need an internet connection then your not going to get that from .mac but you will from MSN, if it's not about an internet connection then stay away from MSN and get the .mac, even if it is about an internet connection still stay away from MSN, my family uses it and its god awful.

3. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

No wasn't actually talking about MSN the isp service. What i meant was MSN 8, a service which is extremely similar to the .mac service where it offers :
    10MB of e-mail storage
    Send and receive up to 3MB of attachments
    Automatic virus scanning on e-mail attachments
    No account expiration
    Keep your current MSN Hotmail address
    30MB of storage on MSN Groups
    100MB of online photo storage

If anyone could enlighten this subject, would be most grateful.

4. j763 macrumors 6502a

For email, check out Fastmail.FM. It's bloody cheap and extremely reliable. A much better deal than either .mac or MSN for *email*. It's just email, that's what you get :)

5. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

That looks great... $15 one time setup fee.

You know, things have changed a lot online. I would've never even thought of paying for email a year ago. I payed the $49 for .mac cause I was an iTools member... and depending on my money situation I might continue. I mean $99 is a lot of money for... for email and webhosting... hm. Apple integration sure is nice though. If I have money to burn, I'll stick with .mac. Else, fastmail here I come! IMAP is nifty.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have .Mac, and i enjoy the fact that it is tightly integrated - iSync, iCal, iPhoto, web page building is so intuitive. Give it a shot. They have a 60 day free trial on .Mac. If you are too lazy to type, click here ;).

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Are you actually using a member account there? I got the free one and it works fine for me...

8. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

After using .mac, I'd hate to go back to having ****ty adverts on the bottom of my emails, especially since I am occasionally in touch with some important people/labels, and it looks cheesy. The member one is sweet... I might even go for full. 10 bucks a year is not bad for a lot more storage space. It sucks not being able to handle attachements over 15MB. Well... I guess it doesn't, heh.