Mac or PC - What do you own?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Oct 16, 2006.

?

What computer do you own/use?

1. Mac

73 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. PC

20 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Both

104 vote(s)
    52.5%
  4. None, but looking to buy.

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

There are as expected a lot of PC/Windows/Dell bashers here on MR. There are as many (or so it seems) defenders of the other side. I came to MR to learn about what is expected and to share with other Mac users, make informed decisions and get usefull tips and software solutions.

I'm curious about what brings the Mac bashers/PC defenders here, why the spend so much time here, are they just green with envy/upset that Macs aren't cheaper cause it's what they really want, etc etc etc.

So here is a poll. What do you use? Mac. PC. Both. None, but looking to buy.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: never mind, you seem to have a poll now. ;) At present I own only Macs (two) but I have owned PCs. I continue to use PCs, including this one I'm typing on right now.

3. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

i own both but primarly use my powerbook; my dad is the primary user for my PC :eek:

4. haisdeaks macrumors member

Using my PC I built- but a purchase of a macbook imminent.
    thought I'd better read up before i go cold turkey on windows... :eek:

5. John Walsh macrumors newbie

I use both, but...

I use both, Mac and PC, and I use Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, and XP; and I use Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X Tiger. I MUCH RATHER USE MAC, and that's what I'm useing to post this message. I only use PC becuse I don't have an Intel Mac yet running Windows for my Windows-only apps that I use for work.

6. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

Two great Mac's, but my poor girlfriend own a huge but puny and very noisy Dell laptop that I'm constantly making fun of.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I only use Mac(s).

Won't touch a PC unless I have to...

When I started on computer engineering on college, back in 1999, I built myself a PC since most of the teaching there was on Windows (and a bit on Linux), but half a year later I got my Pismo running OS 9 with Virtual PC and never used the PC again (except for a brief period when I had it at an office I was using running Linux hooked up the the Linux network there).

Ran Borland Developer Studio, and I even did my X86 assembly coding assignments using Virtual PC, and it actually worked in more than half the assignments... :cool:

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I have a Dell(PC) desktop that i use pretty much for gaming, music, movies, browsing and writing papers. I am in the market for a MacBook tho so hopefully that will be an easy transition

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

This is a hard question for me to answer. My GF and I both use Macs daily _BUT_ we have an XP MCE box that we use for playing media on the main TV. The MCE box isn't used for anything else though. If I was using PC hardware it would be for *BSD or Linux, I have no interest in using Windows as my desktop OS at home. I need a UNIX like desktop OS and considering OS X has stuff like MacPorts and Fink even PCs running *BSD or Linux are pretty much pointless for me now.

I guess I'll vote Mac because if the El Gato EyeHome was as good, or if the iTV is as good I would replace the MCE box in a second.

13. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Oh, yeah, I guess I will say though it's in my sig that I have a G4 450 Powermac - an original G4 Rev. A that is 6 1/2 years old (Feb. 2000) that is really a testament to the longevity of Macs. It still does what I need it to and fairly well, though it can be slow at times. How many 6 1/2 year old PCs want to take on my G4. And my wife has the 12" PB in my sig.

However I will be replacing the G4 tower with a 24" iMac this month!!!
    I should have it ordered by the end of the week.

14. frome macrumors member

frome

I have 3 macs, iMac, PowerBook and Mac Mini.

Killed the PC we had :D

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

Here at work: Dual Xeon powered Linux system on desk. Sun Solaris down in the lab

At home: mac mini for desktop, Pentium 4/Linux for other uses. Wife has a Sony Notebook with XP.

16. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

3 macs, a laptop, imac, and a mini. all still work like new, although the laptop is over nine years old now, and only runs OS 9; imac is on 10.2.8, mini up to date and waiting for 10.5.:D

My poor wife owns a HP laptop and rolls her eyes at me when I suggest a mbp would be better... oh, well, let her keep updating the poor virus definitions, it's not my problem!:rolleyes:

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

it's not about MAC bashing or PC defending it's about FANBOYS like urself to get up off of steve jobs and quit acting like ur better. Ur talking like u own these blazing fast machines that will smoke any pc and that pc's are just plain crap when both ur machines are over 5 years old.

as you can see I have plenty of apple machines and have spent quite a bit of money on them. just because i own them doesn't automatically mean i'm better than anyone that uses a pc. as you can also see i own a PC laptop so that's where this view comes from. i'm not a fanboy of either side but when you come on here making polls like this and posts like you do claiming go BUY a crappy dell or go away is just childish. No matter how many dell configurations I show you....you still won't accept the fact that apple IS overpriced. This poll is a good example of the apple fanboy community and it's sad people like you give a company a bad name.

i love dell and i love apple.....even if you said the same things about dell i would be on apple's side and vice versa.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

agree, I have both, and I don't think one is far better than the other one, they both have their advantages, while my MB really destroy the impression of mac being "perfect", so yeah, its ridiculous to think mac is perfect and pc is crap,

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I only have a MB, so that's what I marked.. though there are plenty of PC computers in my house, as well (fiance has 2 laptops and a pc desktop). He was a mac guy when I met him, but he's since switched back ( :eek: ).. I still try to nudge him back towards the good side, but he won't have it. :( Wish I'd known of this before I said "yes" - I really don't know how we'll manage... ;) :p

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's "your" and "you are" or "you're", not "ur" (which is Norwegian for a small watch, and not a valid English wors as far as I know). I'm a slightly dim Norwegian, and even I try to write as correctly as possible, which hopefully makes it easier for other's to understand me.

I won't even get into the whole Mac vs MAC discussion, but I was wondering why you mentioned Media Access Control for a moment there... but it is nice to see that your shift key is working, after all...

But what really boggles my mind about your post is how on Earth this poll is "a good example of the Apple fanboy community"?!? The question asked is if you use a Mac, PC or both... how is that worthy of such a strong attack...?

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

LOL, i don't think picking the typing habit is a meaningful way to discuss the issue.
    for your last question, plz read this post
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=242954
    the guy who open this post has stated in that post that:
    so yeah, he is a fanboy and trying to invoke something here.

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

haha as u can tell this is the INTERNET not english class.....why do people always try to attack grammar as if i am being graded on how i type on the INTERNET.

yeah read the other thread like the previous guy said....also look closely at what he put in the POLL....here's what he put...

"I'm curious about what brings the Mac bashers/PC defenders here, why the spend so much time here, are they just green with envy/upset that Macs aren't cheaper cause it's what they really want, etc etc etc."

hmmmmm if he's just asking a basic question why did he put that question in there? he is a fanboy and hates on pc users.....otherwise he wouldn't have included that in the thread.

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I only own a MacBook Pro now, sold my last windows box (ever!) and my iBook to buy it. I am only going to get Macs from here on out and never looking back. Although my parents still own a PC, it's been taken offline forever and replaced with an iMac. I'm Mac only now.

24. Miguey macrumors 6502

i own both, but looking to replace my PC(celeron 1.4, 384 ram :( ) with a low end intel mac so now my iBook wont be alone...

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What's a "typing habit"? Does that mean you actually know how to type but choose to ignore proper spelling and punctuation?

If so, think how much easier it would be for others, like me, to understand any issue you want to discuss, including this one...

English is hard enough, for frell's sake, and I don't like playing "Guess what word I'm not bothering to type".
    So, the OP of this poll is a "fanboy", after reacting on the trolling in that thread, and starting this poll as a reaction to that...? Why...? Because of what you perceive to be Dell bashing...?

Here's a thought: If you cannot stand people with bad opinions of Dells, then don't come to MacRumors, or any other online community where people appreciate computing experience, productivity and quality over sheer price.

You are not being graded... barely understood...

Then, both of you, take your issues back to that thread, and don't frell up this one, too...