Mac or Windows

Discussion in 'Games' started by omtatsat, Aug 31, 2006.

1. omtatsat macrumors member

omtatsat

Am wanting to buy a new Computer that I can play Games on. The local seller said I should buy Windows system as Mac is not good for computer games. Is that true? What should I look for when I buy a new computer ( System requierments etc for computer games)? Thanks for any help.

Keith Dean

2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I'll get in there before anyone else does...

Any Mac system running with an Intel processor (i.e. all the current line up) can run Windows as well as OSX, so you have the best of both worlds.

What system you'll need is entirely dependant on what type of games you play. However, either way I'd definitely recommend you get a system with a graphics card (which rules out the Macbook) almost all new games and most from the past couple of years require it. Also, if you're using the machine for games alone, the Mac Pro might be overkill as it is really geared to processor intensive professional apps like FCP or Photoshop - hence the rather crappy standard graphics card. But if you really have money burn, go for the Mac Pro and soup up the graphics card to a x1900 and the RAM to 2GB (or more).

Personally, if I was purchasing a machine purely for gaming I would buy a PC. Not because Windows is superior, but because for the same money as a Mac Pro you could build an absolutely blazing gaming machine.

Either that or just get a 360, or wait for the Wii.

3. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

If you want a Mac, and you want games, but like FleurDuMal said, the MacPro is overkill, buy a 20" iMac and max out all the specs. 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 256MB Video RAM. Put Bootcamp on it and install both OS X and XP. Like was said, best of both worlds, in one sleek, sexy machine.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

One thing to note is that a 17" iMac will usually out pace the (faster) 20" in games. Since the GPU doesn't change and the resolution increase quite a bit, games will usually be a bit faster on the 17". The 256mb VRAM option doesn't really change this, the max fill rates, etc, etc, all stay the same so trying to push more pixels means more work, which means fewer FPS, all other things being equal.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not entirely true; however, it is true that there are a lot more games available for Windows.

However, it's also true that you can also install Windows on a Mac (in addition to Mac OS X), and play Windows games on it.

Anyway, your primary concern should be the graphics card. The Mac Mini and MacBook don't have one, so they stink for games. The iMac and MacBook Pro have a Radeon X1600, which is a really good card. They're great for gaming.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

However, in another thread, someone mentioned a probable upgrade, including a likely X1800, so waiting out for a bit may be a good idea

7. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

If you already have a decent Mac for regular use, get a PC. A custom built PC is best. Freind of mine built a fast gaming rig with only 800 bucks. He plays Oblivion at high res and detail and plays at about 40 fps.

Alot of good deals are at newegg.com. He said that's where he got most of his parts.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem with a Mac is also that the graphics card cannot be upgraded, except in the Mac Pro, which is pretty expensive, a cheap PC for gaming and a Macbook for portable use would probably work out cheaper, though you'd need to build the PC yourself to get a good gaming one cheaply.

If you look at Oblivion for example it requires a 2Ghz Pentium 4 to play and a 3hz Pentium 4 to play well, but a 9500 graphics card to play and a x800/x1600+ to play well (the x1600 is the current graphics card in the Macbook Pro), basically the required graphics cards are much newer than the processors.

Also because of the lack of upgradability of the graphics card I wouldn't recommend any laptop for gaming.

If Apple release their ever wanted mid range desktop Mac, I would get that for gaming as it should have upgradable graphics and run OS X, the best of both worlds.

9. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

YES!!!! If Apple did bring out another tower Mac that wasn't exactly top of the line and had expansion slots for PCI express and AGP, I would mos def would want to buy it.