mac os 10.1 help (I need it!)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dbhays, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

I am trying to upgrade my iMac 350 MHZ slot loading bondi blue imac to OS 10.2 with my upgrade CD. Problem is, it is requiring 10.1. I have 10.04 installed, but I need 10.1 for the upgrade. 10.1 was a free upgrade (I believe). Does anyone know where I can get it? I couldn't find it on Apple's Site.

I was able to install 10.3, but then got a kernal panic every time I rebooted the machine. I tried all the suggestions that I found on the net, but to no avail. I would be happy with 10.2 if I can get 10.1 on the machine first.

So, anyone know where to get 10.1, if it is available for free? Thanks

BTW: This is a computer for my classroom. If I can't upgrade to 10.2 I will stick with 9.22. 10.04 is really bad.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can usually get 10.1 upgrade CDs on eBay for just a few bucks. Otherwise contact Apple and see if they can do anything for you.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Does anyone know if, since it was a free upgrade, I could distribute a .dmg of it for free?

4. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you're supposed to, but I doubt you'll get into trouble if you do.

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Can't you just run the software update, and that will update it for you?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10.1 isn't (and never was) available through Software Update...

7. RacerX macrumors 65832

The 10.1 CDs were free from Apple retailer and was $19.95 from Apple (postage and handling charges).

There is no download version and Apple stopped distributing the upgrade... partially because people found out that the upgrade CD could be converted into a 10.1 (full) install CD by changing a single file.

Sadly, this is an example of a few people who ruined it for the rest of us.

Because 10.1 was a free upgrade, I do provide that upgrade for clients with 10.0.x systems... specially considering the issues involved in getting from 10.1.0 to 10.1.5, most people seem very happy to have someone's help who knows where the hurdles are and has all those updates handy (I keep the 10.1 upgrade CD and a CD of the updates needed to get to 10.1.5 with me in my set of CDs).

8. dbhays thread starter macrumors regular

dbhays

Well thanks anyway. I tried to buy one off ebay, but ebay closed the sellers account for selling pirated software. I found a restore disk with 10.1 on it. I am going to try that next.