Mac OS 10.3 or 10.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardlanti, Jan 25, 2005.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

hey guys i jsut want an opinion here. i just got a g4 powerbook with mac os 10.2. my question is should i buy 10.3 now or should i just rather wait for 10.4?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if 10.2.x is working fine for you and you've looked at the features of 10.3.x and there is nothing you can't live without then why not wait.....unless of course you find a really cheap (legit) copy of 10.3 and just can't pass it up....oh yeah!

3. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I agree unless you need to have expose' or a few other minor things, then just wait (trust me 10.4 will not disappoint)

thats my 0.2$

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wait for 10.4, it will only be a matter of months. And it will definitely be worth it! No sense in paying full price for 10.3 when the same $129 will get you the brand new OS in a few months' time.

Unless 10.2 is unbearably awful for you (which I doubt), just wait - patience is a virtue and always pays off. :cool:

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I think you should wait, unless you could find a cheap copy on ebay.

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Wait for Tiger and then use your edu discount (which is easier than it sounds) at the Apple store.

7. Zaty macrumors 65816

8. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Being sensible, I'd say wait for Tiger. Personally though, I couldn't compute without Expose. I don't know how I coped before it was introduced.

9. vtprinz macrumors 6502

The EDU discount makes it $70. But either way, if you want Tiger eventually, you'll end up paying $70 for only a couple months use of an OS. Just wait. Jaguar was a great OS, a lot of people still use it. The only thing I think you'll really miss is the new Finder in Panther. Expose is great, but definitely not necessary. It was a few months before i really got used to using it anyway. And even now, after over a year with Panther, the only thing I use Expose for is if I need to get something from the desktop.

One word of caution, however. From what I understand, Tiger has high requirements to run everything right. Make sure your computer will even work well with Tiger.

10. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I just noticed a link at the bottom of the Forum that apparently has Panther for $49.00.

11. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

One word of caution, however. From what I understand, Tiger has high requirements to run everything right. Make sure your computer will even work well with Tiger.[/QUOTE]

well this is my first mac computer(got tired of freaking windows) so i am still a newbie. i have a 867 mhz powerbook with 512 rams. do you think tiger will run good on this pc?

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

What Apple store allows educational for pricing at the brick and mortar stores? None that I know of...

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What exactly are those requirements, and what does it mean to run "right"? Does missing out on some eye candy mean all that much?

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The University Village store in Seattle, for one. Just go in with your UW ID.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

REALLY?

Huh, they're not supposed to, but that's cool. They must make exceptions for stores SO close to college campuses.

16. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I think all the Apple B&M offer edu discount with ID. What apple store isn't within 1 hour of a college or k-12 school.

17. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

18. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

They all give you the discount... At least, 2 of the 3 Apple stores in the Minneapolis area did it for me. I just brought in my Iowa State ISU card and they gave me the discount. I bought my PowerBook and iPod with it.

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple b&m stores only give education discounts on Hardware, you will not be able to get the education discount on any software, short of buying the Student/Teacher edition of MS Office, which anyone can buy for the $150 they charge. But you cannot get the discount on iLife, iWork, Mac OS X, etc. unless you order online.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If there are enticing features of Panther that you just need to have now, then buy Panther from a place where it is affordable.

If there is no reasons as of the above then wait for Tiger, as it is a far better upgrade IMHO. :)

21. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

???

Its all very nice for you yanks who have 10 to the power of 40 Apple stores doted around the place but over here we have....

(drum roll to build the exceitment)

1 :eek:

Which is no where near me. :( :( :(
    And i havn't been there yet. :( :( :(

So when your average Brit bangs on about the the Apple store he means the on-line store.

22. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Not all yanks have that luxury. The closest Apple store to me is about a 3 hour drive. But then, I am a college student and our bookstore is an authorized reseller, so I do get something. Even though it's just a tiny 4'x4' corner of the store.