Mac OS 10.4.7 To Feature Upgraded iSync?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2006.

Do you use iSync?

1. Yes, with my phone.

154 vote(s)
  2. Yes, with my PDA.

19 vote(s)
  3. Yes, with both my Phone and PDA.

22 vote(s)
  4. No, but I would if my device was supported.

105 vote(s)
  5. No, and I don't anticipate ever needing to.

53 vote(s)
  1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

According to AppleInsider and corroborated by a MacRumors source, Apple's upcoming 10.4.7 update to its Mac OS will include, among other things, an updated iSync utility.

According to AppleInsider and our source, Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs includes iSync 2.3 (current is 2.2) and includes support for "many additional phones" including Motorola's RAZR v3x.

There are some indications that AppleInsider's source and MacRumors' source are one-and-the-same, but that in of itself does not rule out the legitimacy of the rumor.
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Rumor :rolleyes: This is bound to happen, new products come out and Apple needs to provide support for it, nuff said.
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    When will any phones sync fully with Mac OS:rolleyes:
  4. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Better syncing is always good. Even though I must say my (fairly) new Sony Ericsson Z520i syncs much better than the Sony Ericsson T68i it replaced. But I'm sure there's always room for improvements... ;)

When Apple makes it's own phones, of course... :rolleyes:
  5. macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2006

Just out of curiosity it says Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs, does this mean no sync 2.3 for PowerPc macs?:confused:
  6. macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, there will be a PPC version. But the article is a bit unclear about it. I would be surprised if apple didn't include it. What I would like is full sync support with iPhoto to work with my brand new Sony DSC-H5. It registers and imports, but it says the camera is untitled in the sidebar and doesn't have the picture of it when importing (I know, none of you know what I mean…). I used to use iSync, but don't any more. It's not that iSync doesn't support my devices (but it doesn't), it's that I have always found calendars hard to use on cell phones.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 1, 2004
    Tap dancing on the edge of Apple's NDA... Mac OS X 10.4.7 exists for both Intel and PowerPC but have slightly different build numbers (currently 8J126 for PowerPC and 8J2126 for Intel).
  8. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I like the poll + rumor format a lot -- just a random kudo. ;)

My phone (V3) is already supported. The thing I need most from iSync is WM5 support -- which I don't need badly, but I would like to be able to sync my Axim x51v (which I mostly use to read PDAs and check e-mail via WiFi). So mostly I'm waiting for PocketMac or MissingSync to get up to speed on WM5. Because Apple isn't likely to be adding that feature in 10.4.7... :(
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2006
    More features please...

kool, thanx. What I would like is for expaned features in isync, like transfering address book photos, oh and home made ringtones (I dont have bluetooth) would be nice too.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2005
    San Diego, California
  11. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    How about putting one syncing conduit back into one app - none of this syncing outside of iSync - i.e., .Mac and iPod ( for photos, address etc not music - due to iTunes for windows )

Bad software design... to have the output all over the system - this confuses users and macs syncing more difficult.

iSync should be an app ( and has been ) where isyncing modules can be 'plugged' in. Every user will know what app is used for syncing - all centralised and modularised - that is iSync.

I know this is not going to happen, but the current syncing for devices is nothing but a mess.
  12. macrumors 6502

Mar 7, 2005
    Outback Australia
    Cool, i've been battling with my v3x for quite a while now

Tis good news
  13. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2002
    Southern California
    Man you nailed this one. iPod syncs to iTunes; camera to iPhoto; video recorder to iMovie; and little orphaned devices (pdas, phones, etc.) to iSync??? Seems like the phones and pdas should be syncing within an app like AdressBook or iCal to follow Apple's formula.
  14. macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Total mess. I completely agree. Once upon a time I could use iSync for everything. Now I use iSync, System Preferences (.Mac pref panel), and iTunes...

How is that easier Steve?
  15. macrumors regular

JZ Wire

Dec 18, 2003
    Miami, FL
    iSync is cool although I don't use it too often. I know Safari will be one of those apps they are fixing in this update but Id like to see much more focus on it. I love the speed of Camino but no matter what browser I use I always find myself coming back to Safari.
  16. macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Phones do sync to address book and iCal...
  17. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    He means having to use address book and iCal to sync to your phone, instead of using iSync.
  18. macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    My Motorola v635 is on the list, but each time I connect the phone to iSync, the phone just disconnects, however my v635 has a more stable connection on my Mac than any of the PCs I use, it takes like 12 tries to connect to the computer, while on the Mac it only takes 2-3.. I'll have to try after the update (although it's already supported) to see if it will finally sync fully

Off topic, but just something a bit neat, the Nokia "Safari" user agent string is: "Nokia E61: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413"

Of course there is probably slightly different strings, ie different phone models
  19. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    I have like a gazillion posts here at MR, and have been here for years, and yet I can't figure out why some of this news is considered MacRumours posts (Page 1), and why some of this isn't considered MacBytes (Page 2). This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff posted on MacRumours rather than MacBytes, so I'll give you that.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so even if your source just made this up, it might actually come true in 10.4.7 regardless.
  20. macrumors member

Jan 13, 2006
    concrete jungle
    "Among other things..."

What are they?
  21. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    It's been doing that for ages. I sync my phone with Address book and iCal almost every day via BlueTooth. I used to do this with my PDA 3 years ago (when I still used PDAs ;) ). Same with my iPod, although Apple messed things up and makes iPod sync through iTunes, which sort of defeats the purpose of having iSync, but we won't go into that again here.
  22. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Hopefully the v710 motorola BT sync will finally be supported. I hate hacking the plist everytime. :mad:
  23. macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2006
    Come on BlackBerry... show me BlackBerry support!

(Please no one recommend PocketMac - I've tried it and it's well documented how bad it is, and I've suffered bad results because of it too, including appointments on the wrong date/time - absolutely unacceptable)
  24. macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Umm..well MacBytes is for straight up news, and rarely are rumors posted there. Page 1 is for fairly good/substantive rumors (and major news) and Page 2 is for rumors that are from a dubious source or quite likely to be made-up. This is not news as it hasn't happened yet and comes from an anonymous source. It's not really a page 2 rumor because an improvement in iSync in an OS X point update is both likely and has occurred before. Also it's posted by two different reasonably reliable rumors sites. I think that places it squarely in MacRumors Page 1 territory.
  25. macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    To be honest, I voted "No, but I would if my device was supported" but I have no idea if my phone is even supported. It's not Bluetooth (and neither is my Mac mini) and the phone companies are always trying to sell us the "optionnal" things (such as data cables) at incredibly expensive prices.

I got my phone for free with a three years contract. Am I really expected to pay 30-40$ CAD for a simple USB cable? :rolleyes:

Besides, iTunes syncs very well with my iPods... I only wish we could enter data into the iPod like a PDA. Next one perhaps? (you know, the "true video, widescreen, touch-screen" one?)