Mac OS 10.4.7 Update Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider is reporting that developers were seeded an updated version of Mac OS 10.4.7 late last week. All major issues with the previous build appear to have been resolved, which indicate a release may be imminent.

Mac OS 10.4.7 will be the minor OS update by Apple and is expected to deliver bug fixes and enhancements to Mail, Safari, Aperture, Syncing and iChat. The current version, 10.4.6, was released on April 3, 2006.

2. macrumors regular

kinless

Will this be the last one?

No OS X series has ever ended on the same number

10.4.7?

Either stop here or press on to 10.4.10. :)

3. macrumors newbie

Maybe Mail won't be ugly anymore....

4. macrumors 6502a

kasei

I hope so. Safari has been driving me crazy. My RSS articles stopped working about two weeks ago and there is a serious lag when pages load.

5. macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Hopefully so, and the fans in my PM will stop going crazy all the time.

6. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I don't really mind how mail looks...in fact, it looks a heck-of-a-lot better than Microsoft Outlook 2007...

7. macrumors 68000

?? I think the 10.4.x mail is awesome. Hopefully Safari and other apps will follow suit. The got rid of the ridiculous "drawer" concept which was so un-Apple from day 1. All it did was not take advantage of useable space at the top and bottom. The new blue area that replaced it is much better use of space and more attractive. The icons are streamlined, and it took on the new interface lighter grey (non-brushed) look. Very nice. And it works better than 10.3 mail too of course.

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*le sigh* Yes, that's exactly what Apple should do.

9. macrumors newbie

All that says to me is that there is more and more each time.

10. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I wouldn't expect any visual changes until the "BIG ONE". ;)

11. macrumors regular

trendspotting is for the Daily show only.

Seems like wishful thinking to me. Personally, I would be happy to get another update (10.4.8) maybe in October-ish? Keep in mind that Leopard will not be out until late this year or early next. Besides, eventually, Apple will have to stop on the same number, at least sometime by 10.9.x :D. In any case, any update is good news for me, at least it will give me my Mac fix until WWDC, maybe ;).

12. macrumors regular

my safari eats up all my RAM !

13. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

"Im coming to join you Elizabeth, ridin' all the way on 10.5!" :p

14. macrumors 65816

realityisterror

How have we still not heard more about Leopard!! :eek:

Gah!

15. macrumors regular

I just hope 10.4.7 adds CoreImage support for my cameras RAW format. I'd love to give Apple some money for a copy of Aperture but it is useless to me if ORF files aren't supported.

16. macrumors member

Safari may not be the worst, but

hey, I've seen couple of articles saying how good safari is; but so far seriously it's just not usable for me. (i tried to use it after each updates)

a lot slow compare to Opera, even firefox. Werid, cause this is native mac app. I never understand why? Even when I am at school using a T3 connection. ??????

for compatibility issues ( i mean to view all the websites correctly), it's as bad as firefox. maybe less crash, but not viewable either.

I just stick with Opera for now :eek:

17. macrumors G4

daneoni

I wouldnt be surprised if go up to 10.4.9.1 i.e version 1, version 2 (10.4.9.2) etc, Tiger is longest running OS (April 04-Present) if i remember correctly and is the most advance and apparently required/requires a lot of tweaking.

18. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

I think your right...Dashboard...Spotlight...Exposé...

19. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

I wonder if with Leopard, we will somehow see the boundaries blurring between operating system and web browser, in a kind of Web 2.0 way.

20. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

These incremental updates are always welcome but they never amount to anything really noticeable, I very much doubt this will be the last update if anything Tiger will probably keep on going until 10.4.12///

ShadoW

21. macrumors 68000

Being a web designer I can tell ya neither FF or Opera display sites correctly. Neither does IE, but that's always been the case. FF and Opera just don't implement all the current standards. Neither does Safari, but it's a lot closer.

Plus the design of the tabs and interface is just light years ahead of anyone. They are all the same as far as speed goes as far as I can tell these days.

Something could be wrong with your system, but I think it's just all in your head. :)

22. macrumors 6502a

Looks like Apple is almost done with tweaking Tiger, this update concentrates more on fixing bugs in apps than system itself.

23. macrumors regular

Tiger is about a year and a month old.

24. macrumors regular

Cubert

Nice observation, Kinless!

If 10.4.7 is released soon, then we can expect to see 10.4.8 around the time of WWDC (they always put out a new update around WWDC if new hardware is released, which everyone expects will happen). That puts 10.4.9 out in October, or November at the latest. 10.5 will likely be released in January. So, does anyone think there will be a 10.4.10 (not 10.4.9.1) sandwiched in there?

25. macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Please finally fix Safari

Dear God... please FIX SAFARI. It is SLOW and does multi-media VERY POORLY.

As a switcher, I must admit I love my MAC, but the app I use the most is Safari and it does not run 1/2 as good as IE on my $299 Dell - hate to say it - but TRUE!

APPLE YOUR BROWSER IS POKEY - FIX IT!