Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
What features would you like to see in Apples new desktop OS?

(Yes i know the name hasnt been officially announced yet, but the poster from next weeks media event says it all really!)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Resolution Independence. So you don't have to take the screen off its native resolution to be able to see the words, etc. Much like the iPhone with its retina display. Resolution went up, but you could still read the words.

This will help with my dad because his eye sight is not the best and he keeps on making everything blurry on their 27" iMac by bumping down the resolution so he can read.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Resolution Independence. So you don't have to take the screen off its native resolution to be able to see the words, etc. Much like the iPhone with its retina display. Resolution went up, but you could still read the words.

This is my biggest hope, and Apple really have to do it this time. It was a feature originally advertised for Leopard.. what, 4 years ago?

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
I’d rather they caught up with some of the smaller issues before doing anything fancy…

Finder
  • Tabbed Finder windows.
  • Cut and paste files.
  • Folders in path bar to be spring loaded.
  • Search: ability to display all results at once, not first 10k only; ability to copy and paste more than 10 results at once
  • Easy way to get a file or folder’s path.
  • Ability to Quick Look a folder and see its contents
  • Ability to do things like rename files whilst in Open/Save dialog boxes
  • View zip file contents, add to zip file

Servers
  • Easy way to connect to servers on login without Finder windows opening.
  • Finder windows to properly update when files are changed (e.g. date modified doesn’t update until selecting that file)
  • Servers to always show up in the Finder sidebar

Other
  • Dashboard widgets to load themselves on login, not on the first activation of Dashboard
  • More powerful Automator - it never quite does enough
  • Consistent shortcut keys for home, end etc.
  • Ability to prevent icons in the Dock from endlessly bouncing

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

This will help with my dad because his eye sight is not the best and he keeps on making everything blurry on their 27" iMac by bumping down the resolution so he can read.

This is my biggest hope, and Apple really have to do it this time. It was a feature originally advertised for Leopard.. what, 4 years ago?

+3 from the HTPC crowd. It's been around for years now but still not implemented...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Get rid of the base 10 nonsense. I'm sorry Steve, but 1000KB≠1MB.

I actually like the base 10 "nonsense". What it says on the computer is what it says on my harddrive's specs.

Moreover, base 10 has been proved to be full of win. The metric system, for one.

It's a good move forward. Only computer geeks and spec-heads need to know the actual 1024-based numbers.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
apple will have learned alot from the development of IOS over the past few years, so much so that my ipad and iphone perform much faster doing day to things than my new imac. im hoping that the developers put that experience to good use for 10.7!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I actually like the base 10 "nonsense". What it says on the computer is what it says on my harddrive's specs.

Moreover, base 10 has been proved to be full of win. The metric system, for one.

It's a good move forward. Only computer geeks and spec-heads need to know the actual 1024-based numbers.

Yeah, the only real problem you get is the cognitive dissonance when someone quotes or lists something in base 2 numbers. In reality, they're often not that off to matter anyway.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Instant switch on to Windows Boot Camp partition. Less bloat. More speed. More stability. More GPU acceleration. Cleaner UI. Better energy management settings. More multitouch features.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I asked for these features in a past thread:

1. Resolution Independence (It actually got worse in Snow Leopard.)
2. System-wide Touch (Where are you? Windows 7 has it built-in.)
3. ZFS or new Apple file system (Time Machine needs you badly.)
4. Marble (We need a unified UI.) [Marble has since been confirmed to be Xcode 4, not a unified UI for OS X.]
5. Original concept of Stacks as Virtual Folders (Bring back the Stacks feature that was originally demoed where Stacks acted as a virtual folder for any set of random items in the Finder. Let saved Spotlight searches become Stacks also.)

Other wishes:

1. Revamped Display preferences with built-in Plex-like overscan adjustment for HDTVs and better resolution detection. (Snow Leopard has made an attempt, but more work is needed.)[This has been added for certain videos cards including the latest MacBooks and the new Mac mini although it’s not as good as Plex’s.]
2. System-wide Media Sharing. (Using the Sharing preference pane instead of requiring iTunes or iPhoto to be open. DLNA certification with built-in media transcoding would be nice also.)
3. Bring back QuickTime Pro X, drop the ability to install QuickTime 7. (And drop the $30 charge for Pro X.)
4. Refine the 3D Dock so it doesn't take up as much space both vertically and horizontally.
5. Fix iCal so you don't have to launch Inspector or Get Info to adjust events.
6. Put contextual services back like the Snow Leopard beta seeds where they mimic the new Services menu complete with organization and application icons.
7. Officially support AirPort Extreme AirDisk drives as Time Machine backup drives with built-in formatting accessible from AirPort Utility. Add disk repair functions (from Disk Utility) to both Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme to fix minor disk problems with internal (Time Capsule) and external (AirPort Extreme) AirDisks.
8. More integration between iCal, Mail and Address Book (Dare I say combine them a la Microsoft Outlook?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.