Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
The subject pretty much somes it up. I am a windows guy (though I really want to give mac a try). I have a friend that has two PowerBooks 1400cs. If I can get one of them on a 802.11b wireless network I can have the second one. All I know is that she has a PowerBook 1400 cs and it's running Mac OS 8.1. I need a 802.11b pcmcia card that will work for this notebook. I did a search on google and I found a proxim Skyline card. Can the mac experts please give me a few more selections that I can choose from. I'd like one I can get on ebay or any ideas that anyone has. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Five

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
There are only a few different 802.11b chipsets for the wide variety of no-name cards. Most wireless cards are essentially exactly the same except for price, range (to a small degree) and encryption capability. I would recommend finding a card on eBay, then going to the manufacturer's website and finding whether or not they have OS 8 drivers available (if this isn't mentioned in the eBay product description) before you bid.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
thats the only one I know of

I have an older Mac on my wirless network. proxim Skyline card is the only on that I know of that will work with an older Mac OS and older Macs. I'm using the PCMCIA PCI card converter card as well with my system. I know they are more expensive than others on the market but unfortunatly its the only one that I know of. And... there is a problem getting them to work with Enceripted keys... or at least i havent goten it to work with them. There are some Open source drivers for Cards that normaly have no Mac suport (Like Linksys). I dont know what OS's these suport or what Macs.. but I have seen them on http://www.versiontracker.com as well as some discusion here on this site I think. That might be another option of you.

Good luck
-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.