Mac OS 8 and 9 Original Games...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by t300, Sep 23, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, so I was thinking about this and it was killing me that I can't remember...What were the games that came with Mac OS 8 and 9? I remember playing Brickles, and some game with green lines and black background, you drove around and shot things and it was 3D like, and other ones. Can someone steer me in a direction to a list or just tell me? Also, are they on my Mac OS 8 an 9 cds? If so...Where? And finally, if they are not, can you download them somewhere? Are they freeware? Thanks to all!

2. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Thank you very much. I actually think I might have stumbled there once...Well, I really don't know what to look for because I still need names. Anyone?

3. Golem macrumors 6502

It depended on your machine.

A consumer machine had games,proffesional less so.

OS8 umm long time ago and I have no memory of any games on the machine a t all. Pretty sure my 6100/60 had no games on it.

OS9 various Pangea software games like nanosaur and I can remember a popular game with a Great Big Bomb but the name escapes me.

Anybody know of a Mac History site? i was looking for one the other day .

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think the game was called MazeWars or something like that.. It was also networkable. It came with Performa 6200, and probably many other computers

5. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Good question.

Also, Maze Wars was a networkable game but not the one I was thinking about. I am still interested in this knowledge. So chances are there are no games on my OS 8 and 9 cd's or what?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are several out there. Here are two:

Apple History
    Low End Mac

7. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Thanks...I can't find any games section on those..or is there one?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't think either site has game information on it.

9. boz2004 macrumors member

Initially I thought you might be referring to Bolo, then I had this sudden flash of the game in question :eek: ... but couldn't think of the name... :confused:

so I did some digging online and I *think* the game you want is "Battlezone"... so far, I've found a site that has an OS X version available for download: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8397

ok... now I can sleep tonight... ;)

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you thinking of TechnoManiac, by any chance?

11. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I couldn't get that link to work, Bolo..

And the game file wasn't found on that site, wrldwzrd89.

The game I am talking about, I remember was like some 3d tank looking object where you drove around in some wire framed green world and shot little balls at things. It's so vague...Damn.

Also, does anyone know if the Mario typing game is freeware somewhere?

12. boz2004 macrumors member

Um, can't be 100%, but I'm pretty sure I've not heard of the one you've referenced (though I might have to look into it--hehheh)... and "Battlezone" feels like it might be the right title...

I did find a personal site referencing battlezone(http://www.webcom.com/~petrich/games/game_room.html)... the description in paragraph 3 looks to be what I remember of the game... thoguh I'd add in that the game I'm thinking of included a sort of capture-the-flag angle in order to progress; and I vaguely recall a later version allowing the user to customize the tank (speed, hit points, etc)....

I wonder if I still have this buried someplace at home...

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Alright then - try this site instead. It has a screenshot too.

14. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Although, it looks similiar..I do not believe it is that. This is harder than I thought...

15. DeZYnur macrumors newbie

Battlezone might be it

Boz2004 might've gotten it right. I found some Battlezone screen captures, including this one, at various Web sites. Granted, that screen capture was from a coin-op Atari arcade. Not sure how it compares to the Mac version.

There's a link to various versions (0.5-0.8) on the VersionTracker site here. I also found the same link on the ZDNet Downloads site as well as Download.com. But I can't get it to start downloading. It times out.

I just Googled for "Battlezone game Mac" and "Mac Battlezone screen captures" if this helps. Didn't spend long, but I had lots of hits. I think you'll find what you're looking for. Getting it to work...that's another story.

Good luck!

16. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

WOW! I think this just might be it! It's for OS X on Versiontracker but there is one problem...The download doesn't work. Not just on VT, on every download site! The file is "BattleZone_0.8.tgz"...I say that because maybe someone knows a place with a lot of files. Bummer for now, but thanks a lot!

Now, If I could just get that Mario typing...

17. boz2004 macrumors member

woo hoo!
    :D

Now that my memory of the game is in full swing, I think I'll have to find one for OS 9