Mac OS 9 Alert Sounds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 21, 2005.

1. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Is anyone using these sounds in Mac OS X? I decided that I wanted them available in Mac OS X, so I used ResEdit to get them out of the system suitcase, SndConverter Pro to convert them to system 7 sound format, and iTunes to convert those to AIFF. I then moved the AIFF files to /Library/Sounds (I had to create the Sounds folder) so that Mac OS X would see them.

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Why make a /Library/Sounds, and not the existing /System/Library/Sounds or your user spesific ~/Library/Sounds...?

Now, it has been a while since I used OS 9, to anything but a game of MOO, bat aren't many of the system sounds the same as in OS X? Like Basso, Frog, Ping, Submarine etc.?

I use this one as my alert sound... (may only suit cat lovers... ;))

3. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Some of them are the same, others aren't. Why did I put it in /Library/Sounds? You're not supposed to modify the /System folder or anything in it, and I just felt like using the global one even though I'm the only user of my Mac. Here are some of the sounds Mac OS 9 had that Mac OS X doesn't: ChuToy, Logjam, SimpleBeep, Temple

4. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Fair enogh, I pop whatever sound I want to be global in the /System/... folder, like the above mentioned mrrriow, and have a couple of mailsounds in my ~/Library/Sounds, never actually thought of using /Library that way... :)
    SimpleBeep brings chills down my spine... ;) ...but I can't say I remember the other three... or is Temple a long deep gong...?

5. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Care to compress them and post them for us? ZIP or SIT will do. I'd like to hear some of them...... never used OS 9..... :)

6. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I'll gladly do this as soon as I return to my Mac in about 4.5 hours (I'm in college right now, stuck on a Windows PC).

7. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Use VNC ! Sheesh! VNC in to your Mac, set it up to do the compression, and then upload it remotely!

:p

8. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I can't. VNC traffic won't get past my router, and I don't want to open the VNC port(s).

9. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

10. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Thanks. I'll play with them tomorrow.

11. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks. A couple of them is a real nice trip down nostalgia lane... :D