Mac OS 9 Download?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by videonastie, Sep 25, 2003.

1. videonastie macrumors member

Does anyone know where I can download the full OS 9 software?

I have a friend who has just switched to Mac, but the iMac he has bought, only has OS 8.6 on it & he needs OS 9 to use his scanner.

I myself am on OS X, so I haven't got any discs with OS 9 on.

Any help would be appreciated.:D

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It would be illegal to download OS9 and install it, as that is stealing software, so this isn't something that you want to be discussing on the board. If anyone was planning on telling him a place he could download it, at least keep it in PM's.

The best way to get it though, would be a place like here.

Good luck.

3. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE THAT IS NOT SHAREWARE/FREEWARE IS ILLEGAL. WAREZ CANNOT BE DISCUSSED HERE.

5. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

sorry?

rofl..erm, maybe I'm overtired
    you can still buy OS9 right?
    If not then he should try ebay

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah just go buy it. If you were a friend, I'd give it to you to keep (that *is* legal right?).

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I would not bother with it unless you really need some of the features it has, it is quite a bit slower than 8.6 on my PB G3 233.

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

i've found at 9.2.2 that it's faster on my beige 266 g3 than 8 was for me... and you have fewer issues with compatibility...

but yeah, check out ebay or macsales.com

matt

9. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I could have sworn that OS 9 was the same as OS 8.6 in that you could download it courtesy of Apple on their site. In videonastie's defence I think thats what he was going for.

10. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

actually, i think 7.5 is the most recent system that you can legally download from apple. but i do agree that videonastie probably wasn't aware of this and you guys were a bit too quick to jump on him and accuse him of wanting to pirate software.

11. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

could have sworn i heard that 8.6 was available for download from apple. Atleast i think i read a post on here a while ago that said that 8.6 was available.

but i could and most likely am wrong.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC, System 7.5.5 is the latest complete version of a Mac OS you can download for free from Apple.
    System 7.6 and later, stll are not freeware (if I may describe it like that).
    You can download all the updaters for free. So:
    System 7.6.1, Mac OS 8.1, 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.1, 9.2.1, 9.2.2 .. and so on, are free to download.
    Same goes for OS X.

Mac OS 9.2.1 was the last "classic" universal OS CD you could buy at a retailer. It also was packaged in the Mac OS X 10.1 Full box.
    I have no idea if any retailer/reseller is able to sell a "universal" Mac OS 9.2.2 CD.....
    It is possible to extract the image of the Classic System Folder "General OS.dmg" (or something like that) off restore CDs.

13. tjatkungen macrumors newbie

System 9 Disk

Hi there.

I am helping a friend with her Mac (i am a PC man myself, and do not have any experience with Mac)
    She has Mac 9 (or whatever it is called) installed, but it fails to boot up.
    After asking around people tell me that i need a System disk for Mac 9.
    My friend can't find this disk, so my question is the following:
    Where can i download the Rescue disk for Mac 9?
    I agree that it is not fair to download the complete OS, but a resue disk should be okay, after all, she did once pay for it, she is just a slobb that she lost it.:D

Anyone knows where to get this?

Thankx!

Stu in Sweden

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Guys you dont have to jump down his throat, he obviously didnt know that it was illegal to download... One might think that since OS X is up to its third revision, Apple might have released OS 9 for free just for compatibility reasons.

OWC would probably be the best place to get OS 9. They have low prices and cheap shipping.

Update: I found OS 9.1 for $39.99 .