mac os 9 driver development?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chanakya, Sep 16, 2004.

1. chanakya macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2004
    can anybody tell me where can i find the source code of the mac OS 9?also name of the toolkit to develop device drivers for mac OS 9?
    I also need to know the architectural differences between mac os 9 and mac os 10.
    also can anybody tell the steps in driver development for mac os 9?
  2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    MacOS 9 is the accumulation of about 20 years of proprietary code for the Motorola 680x0 and Apple/IBM/Motorola PPC families of processors. The source code is various parts 680x0 assembly language and C++. MacOS X is the accumulation of about 15 years of Mach-based BSD development beginning with NeXTstep in the late 1980's. Of course, BSD traces its roots to UNIX, which dates back to the mid-70's. The closest you can get to MacOS X is the opensource OpenSTEP clone, GNUstep.

This bit of advice: As practice for acquiring the source code for MacOS and MacOS X, take a trip to Atlanta, GA. Visit Coca-Cola headquarters and ask for the formula for Coca-Cola.
  4. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    but anyways apple will not disclose the os 9 (or any classic os) source code. Using a disassembler is the closest thing to it (although that is illegal).
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    No source, but there is ample sample code.

OS X device driver help should be here...

If you want to write a OS 9 driver that'll work under OS X's classic you'll need to look at Carbon...

Edit -- Don't remember where they were talking about converting driver to work under classic, may need to search.

Booting into OS 9 will allow you direct access to hardware for a driver, but will not work under OS X's hardware abstraction layer and should be in the Legacy Technologies in the above links.

Edit -- Getting Getting Started With Device Drivers