Mac OS 9 Feature in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by *Y*, Feb 27, 2005.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I was using firefox and accidentaly held a link to long. It brough up the contextual menu. This remiended me of an old feature in 9 where you could bring up contextual menues by clicking and holding an item. So anyways do any programs that do that, exist for OS X. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Try Control-Clicking in many OS X applications.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wull the dock does that...just click and hold an icon and it right clicks (or ctrl+clicks or w/e) idk of any other prgs that do that. dont ask why im posting at 4 in the morning. too much c2 and xbox. wait, i just explained .nvm

4. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

I know about that. I just think that clicking and holding is much more comfortable. :)

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If I had to ask for any feature from OS 9 it would probably have to be the Voice Recognition Login. Nothing was cooler than saying a phrase and it logged in for me. But on the other hand we the Sony fingerprint scanners for Mac OS X, which is equally as cool or better.

jon

6. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

How or where do I control click like you say. There appears to be no buttons on my mouse. It only goes up and down. I am deeply confused. Please Help.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Control button on your keyboard: both bottom left & right beneath the shift keys... next to alt.

8. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Weird People These Days

Thanks. I guess we do learn something new each day. I always just sortra skiped over that tiny little thing. This is very new to me.

"Say, how stupid do you think I am? Like I don't even know what a control click is and where its located."

But thanks for the hint anyways.

What I was really asking was for a program or a plug-in that does what Mac OS 9 did.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

In the Apple store I discovered the dock does that... it looks kind of ugly actually.

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

You do mean 'option', don't you? :confused: :p :p

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Before I got an apple keyboard I wouldn't understand that :p

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The key has 'Alt' written on it.

It seems appropriate when describing the key to someone who said that they are new to this is to be clear in one's language.

Calling it the 'option' key, while accurate, doesn't actually distinguish between the 'command' key and the one next to it which is why I also refer to the 'Apple' key -- it unmistakably has an Apple on it.

If we could easily insert symbols here that you could guarantee would display on any computer, then that would be a different matter. Hell, even my en-dashes don't render on a PC which is why I use 2 hyphens...

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Regarding the clicking and holding, it appears to have to be programmed in by the program concerned - i.e. it is not a cocoa app- or Mac OS X system-wide feature. The dock features it, as does Netscape (the reason why FireFox has it), but hardly anything else I know of does. I think it should be a system-wide option as I find I use the dock's 'click and hold' quite a lot, rather than reaching for the option/alt key, but I wouldn't count on it coming. Send Apple some feedback.

14. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

BlueVelvet wrote:
    Yes I agree - It really annoys me that tutorials in mags always refer to Option and Command keys. Maybe they were called that in the past, but its much less confusing to refer to what is actually on the keys themselves.
    Time to move over, Luddites.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*gracefully sidesteps the alt/option/apple/command discussion because he's been yelled at on here already for that* :D

There is at least one utility, although it looks like it hasn't been updated too recently, that does what Y is asking for, explicitly:

http://www.artman21.net/product/OpenMenu/index_E.html

I played around with it initially, when I got my iBook, but I now use Sidetrack corner taps....

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nah. Voice Recognition is the coolest thing. You don't have to buy an extra fingerprint scanner... :)

Control refers to the "Ctrl" key, Option refers to the (duh) Option key (has Alt on it so that Windows users don't get confused maybe?) and Command or Apple refers to the one next to the space bar, with the Swedish campground symbol on it (do a search for that, you will be amazed what that curly thing means) and the Apple.
    I prefer Command but if someone says "the Apple key" I know what one they are talking about... sometimes though I've heard strange names for it that take a bit (Spaghetti key is a recent addition, referring to the Command symbol I'd guess)

17. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I pondered the consequences of that, but *Y* had been using OS 9 so was not a newcomer to the Mac.

I didn't expect it to take such proportions, but I just like things to be called by their real name. Promised, I won't do it again, well at least in the near future. :eek:

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Option key clearly has the word 'option' printed on it. :confused:

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My two keyboards at work & home have 'alt' & the angular symbol made up of two strokes. Both keyboards are white, one's from a G4 1.42, the other from a G5.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting, my white Pro Keyboard from a 1.25 G4 says 'option' and I've never seen a Mac keyboard that doesn't!

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Here's my work keyboard

As you can tell, I'm very busy this Monday morning... :)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And you make fun of *me*. :D

US keyboards do not have the option symbol. Which is confusing for us, because it's referred to in keyboard shortcuts in the menus, but doesn't appear on our keyboards. I guess it's just impossible to get everything right on one keyboard. ;)

23. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Nah, Control refers to the control key

24. Renko31 macrumors member

This has been a feature of all web browsers for a long time, both under OS9 and OS X. You can use it on any part of the page in a web browser and it will bring up the correct cotextual menu (not just when clicking on a link). I always wanted Apple to introduce it system wide to save me having to get a two-button mouse, but nothing doing so far. :(

Renko