Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Sorry for all of the threads on the problems with my computer... it kinda has a lot of them.

Anyways, on my clamshell iBook, it will not shut down, no matter what I do. I can run basically any application while in this process, and it's as if nothing ever happened. (I only tried actually opening applications until waiting overnight for it to quit.) Now, it's been running problem-free except for this. Is it a bad hard drive or something? Or should I do a clean install of OS 9? I have to go on a trip soon, and the battery does not hold a charge, so I can't carry it around at all until I fix it. I left it overnight and it still remained powered on. Any help? Thanks!

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Sorry for all of the threads on the problems with my computer... it kinda has a lot of them.

Anyways, on my clamshell iBook, it will not shut down, no matter what I do. I can run basically any application while in this process, and it's as if nothing ever happened. (I only tried actually opening applications until waiting overnight for it to quit.) Now, it's been running problem-free except for this. Is it a bad hard drive or something? Or should I do a clean install of OS 9?

Do you have something like Network Manager open that can't find a wireless network? Or any type of Manager that is helping you set up the OS or set up an Internet connection? If so, close those, OS 9 won't shut down if you have something like that open that is waiting on you to proceed. I've had that before, and once I closed those apps (Network Manager in my case) OS 9 shut down normally.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Do you have something like Network Manager open that can't find a wireless network? Or any type of Manager that is helping you set up the OS or set up an Internet connection? If so, close those, OS 9 won't shut down if you have something like that open that is waiting on you to proceed. I've had that before, and once I closed those apps (Network Manager in my case) OS 9 shut down normally.

No, I have nothing open except Finder. But, when I was supposed to set up the Internet, I closed the entire thing (Not running at all, I think) because I found out it was for a dial-up connection.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Oh, and I just got OS 9.2.2 on it, with 192 MB of RAM, and a 10GB hard drive. And I am worried it could be a virus, is there any good anti-virus software for OS 9?

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Not really, but there's hardly any virii for OS 9 either so it's highly unlikely that's the problem.

OS 9 has this wonderful ability to completely go bananas when there are dodgy, corrupted, or downright incompatible-with-something-else extensions running.

It's always a good port of call to check the extensions when something like this happens, but first the easy way to tell at all is to turn them all off. Force the computer to shut down by turning it off (Hold the power button down until it just turns off). Then start it and at the same time hold the shift key. Keep holding it until the Mac OS logo screen shows up (and I believe it will actually say "All Extensions Off" or something similar. After it's loaded, try a soft shutdown and see if it works.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Not really, but there's hardly any virii for OS 9 either so it's highly unlikely that's the problem.

OS 9 has this wonderful ability to completely go bananas when there are dodgy, corrupted, or downright incompatible-with-something-else extensions running.

It's always a good port of call to check the extensions when something like this happens, but first the easy way to tell at all is to turn them all off. Force the computer to shut down by turning it off (Hold the power button down until it just turns off). Then start it and at the same time hold the shift key. Keep holding it until the Mac OS logo screen shows up (and I believe it will actually say "All Extensions Off" or something similar. After it's loaded, try a soft shutdown and see if it works.

Thanks! I was about to do a clean install of OS 9, but this fixed everything! I got it second-hand so a lot of extensions were left on there, as well as... well, other things, but I probably wouldn't be allowed to mention that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.