Mac OS emulator

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by halfprep455, Mar 12, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I downloades Basilisk II and does anyone know where I can download Mac OS 7.5? I hope I posted this in the right thread.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that system 7 was released to download legally, unfortunately though I'm not sure exactly where to get it, try google

4. Queso macrumors G4

You can go up to 7.5.5 legally. 7.6 and above contained licensed code from other companies, so Apple have never been able to release it for free.

7.5.3 and the 7.5.5 update is on that list in the link if you scroll down far enough. Roughly two thirds of the way down. 19 disk images in total. I've got that working on my PowerBook in Basilisk and it runs fine.

5. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

How do I get 7.5 to install in Basilisk II? I already have 7.1 in but there are no applications or anything.

6. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Actually, I would love to run OS 9 in an emulator, but the only Mac OS 9 ROM I have is for classic mode. I have no machines that boot into 9, nor do I have an OS 9 install disc any longer. It's a shame.
    I want to run OS X, Windows XP (parallels), and Mac OS 9 (sheepshaver), but I cannot get the latter.

7. Queso macrumors G4

ROM version 1.6 can be pulled out of this update using TomeViewer, which requires Classic to run (so you'll need a PowerPC Mac). That was the ROM for Mac OS 8.6, but I think it will allow you to install MacOS 9.x at which point the ROM will get updated to version 3.0, the correct version for OS9. All you then need is a disk with OS9 itself.

8. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Appreciate the info. I was able to extract the ROM. Now I just need to find a full, retail version of 9.0. I used to have it with my iMac and iBook. Will have to look around.