Mac OS extended vs. UFS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Powerbook G5, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while during the OS X install I was doing. When it asks for you to select a disc to partition, there is an option to either partition for MacOS Extended or Unix File System, but there is no help text anywhere that I can find that actually explains the difference or the pros/cons of each. I did a search but couldn't find anything on the matter, so is there anyone here who has some info on this?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The installation note, for Panther at least, says to install onto HFS+. UFS can be used for a separate partion, but it's not recommended for your main installation partition. If you were doing a Darwin install, instead of OS X, then you would use UFS, but MaxOS needs the extra resource attributes that are part of HFS+.

I have no idea if one type is faster than the other. HFS+ includes journaling in Panther, which is nice. No long fsck's on large drives any more.

HTH

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

UFS in OSX is not particularly good. I would stick to HFS+ unless you need case sensitivity (and I think Panther adds case sensitive HFS+, although I can't remember for sure). HFS+ isn't great, but it's pretty good.

4. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah I heard about case sensitivity in Pather server, but I'm not too sure about Pather client, either. Thanks for the input, I just don't like making a decision like that without some sort of facts/data to give me a good reason to choose a particular way.

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Classic apps can't run off UFS, nor can you have a working Mac os 9 system installed.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

It wouldn't be very helpful to have HFS+ with case sensitivity on Xserve but not on the client. That would be a bad thing.

I just checked on 7B21 and, so far, it's still case insensitive. Created 'H', then 'h', did an ls -l and the was only 'H'.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I saw somewhere (Apple's site?) that you should use HFS+ unless you've got a specific reason to be using UFS. I don't think Classic will run from a UFS partition, someone will probably be able to confirm this.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

^^ Two posts up ^^

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oops. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have a second opinion. Even if that opinion is the same as yours. And even if "opinion" is completely the wrong word!

10. Powerbook G5 thread starter macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Heaven forbid that Classic may not work...hehe. I swear, it has to be the most annoying thing ever when you accidentally open a Classic application you didn't really intend for and then it goes through the process of booting up OS 9. But yes, I believe I understand now. I was just curious if there was a difference since there is no explanation when you go to select a file system to install OS X onto.

11. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Currently, Jaguar runs on UFS *REALLY* slowly. I hear that Panther greatly improves in this respect, but I dunno if it's as fast as HFS+ yet.

I also don't know if UFS supports resource forks and such, which is still sometimes used in OS X for different purposes, so you could run into problems with that.

I have a vague recollection that Carbon apps might not run on UFS partitions, either, but I think that's probably wrong and I was thinking about Classic apps instead. I thought I'd mention this just to make sure that; maybe someone can correct me.

12. MadCabbit macrumors newbie

Case sensitivity

At least there's now an option to create HFS+ volumes to be case-sensitive in addition to journaling as of the newest Panther beta. It doesn't appear to allow installation in such a partition, but hopefully this will be fixed by final.

Case-sensitivity is the last real reason I see to think about using UFS anyway. :)

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

As a note, UFS can run classic and classic apps, as long as they are run from a HFS+ format disk image...