Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer for my question. On my sawtooth, I have both Mac and windows file sharing enabled. When using another mac to access the sawtooth I have the option to mount any or all of the hard drives connected to the sawtooth.

When I use a windows machine to access the sawtooth, I only have access to the home folder of my own user account. How can I have access to the whole hard drives. I'm guessing that this is not possible, but if it is, I would like to make it possible, so please let me know.

Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wonga1127 said:
If your sawtooth is formatted with HFS+, thats the reason, because Windows can't recognize HFS+ partitions, only FAT32.
HFS+ is not an issue when accessing a networked volume. As for the OP, he needs to read the Help file on file sharing. More information can be found in this MacRumors GUIDE.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the response but I have no problem connecting to my home folder, I want access to all hard drives connected. From the looks of things that is not possible.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
apunkrockmonk said:
Thanks for the response but I have no problem connecting to my home folder, I want access to all hard drives connected. From the looks of things that is not possible.
I understood your OP perfectly. You have to understand that things are not possible just because you want to do them. Having a limited user connect to the root level of your MacOS X hard drive via SMB is one.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I was not trying to offend you, I was just inquiring if it was possible, and if it was, how. I couldn't figure out a way and it does appear that it is not possible. Thank you for your responses.

I now have to think of a way to get access to the files on another drive, I'm thinking the only way to do this now will be to make all the drives into a raid 0 and then put all the files in the home folder I guess.

Any idea of a better way to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.