mac os install question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Steven1621, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i have been trying for some time to install the mac os to my iMac 233. i have os 9 and it will not install due to a firmware issue. another user said i had to install a previous version of the mac os (like 8.6) and then upgrade from there in order to get the firmware updates. i do not have an os 8.6 disk; all i have in 9. is there anyway that i can get the firmware updates i need without having to get os 8.6 so that i will be able to insall os 9. FYI: i am trying to do a clean install.

thanks

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I was that "other user"...
    So, you had no luck in finding an earlier OS. No original iMac install CD's anymore?
    What is also possible, is to install the OS on a different Mac, remove its HD, and place it (with OS 9 on it) in the iMac.
    It's a bit of a hassle, changing the HD of an iMac.
    Or copy ther entire Systwm Folder of another OS 9 - Mac, to your iMac via Ethernet...

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Can you start up from the OS 9 CD? If so, then can't you do that and then download the firmware updates? You can still browse the web and stuff when you've started up from a system CD.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The problem with firmware updates, is that they HAVE to be run from a "read and writeable" boot volume.
    So, to execute a firmware update he has to be booted from the HD, but the OS he wants to install on the HD requires a firmware update....
    Apple should have made the installer so, that you can install OS 9, but also create a startup item, containing the firmware update.
    The OS can run without the firmware update, but the installer just won't start....