Mac OS on a pc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kaboutertje, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Now that we've got the whole mac os being able to run windows thing going. How about a reverse bootcamp, a few newsitems on macrumors allready said it was possible, but there were problems with just the slightest difference in hardware. Now that the mac pro is out with it's various range of graphic cards and harddisks, and a updated tiger, is it still hard?

For example if I would pick up a:
    Core 2 duo 2.33ghz
    Ati Radeon x1900xt
    2gig ram
    300gig sata
    intel 945 motherboard

Will it be possible? I'm not sure if we are allowed to 'talk' about this (not talking about how-to's), but it would almost make me buy a normal pc.
    Right now a mac pro is the only mac with a decent graphics card. A iMac is ok, but I want a 24" screen ;). A mini has the integrated intel crappy card.
    A Macbook is ok, and a MBP is too expensive for me.

Put the above config in a nice sff (shuttle, asus pundit, etc..) and it seems you got a decent apple system if that's even possible :)

2. cbetta macrumors regular

it IS possible but it needs some hacks because Apple (unlike MS) does not like his OS on any system. Therefore there are some checks in OS X to make sure it can't just happen

EDIT: in other words (and I agree with this) if you want to understand the beauty of a mac, buy a mac and don't just try out the OS

3. kaboutertje thread starter macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I just sold my mac, waiting for the new ones. But I wouldn't mind being able to play some games on it too. And let's say I got 1500 euro's to spend, that isn't getting me a mac with a decent graphics card. A macpro with a x1900xt is the only option but will cost me 2800 euro's.
    So I'm going to wait and see with what they come next, and maybe I'm just gonna ditch gaming all together and go for a cheap mac mini. It would be a no brainer for me though, if I could run mac os x (dual boot with mac os as my primary os) on a gaming rig ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It is a violation of the Software License Agreement for OS X to install it on any non-Apple branded computer.

That being said.. http://www.osx86project.org/

Why that site hasn't been nuked by Apple legal, I don't know.

5. kaboutertje thread starter macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Yeah I know you aren't allowed to install it, have to edit my last post :). Or you have to be a apple developer then it is.
    But thanks for the link, strange they haven't taken it down yet. Maybe I'm gonna buy a intel mac, never install os x on it, use the sledgehammer on the mac and then install it on a dell would that be legal? :p

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Apple just got too much cash in recent years, they probably doesn't care a small project with no more than 100 ppl ever tried.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

plz buy a pc, and give the excess money to me......:)

8. iJUNKY macrumors member

i've been think of doing the same thing. (Legal Note: Not really I'm only kidding ;) )

the OSx86 site is the best - it has all you need to know. But getting the patched hacked versions of OS X is a real pain.

then you got the problems with every minor adjustment (physical and software) screwing up everything and having to find a patch that fixes it.

i reckon i would just save up for a nice shiney Mac Pro :cool:

I would like to know benchmarks for these x86 non-Apple machines. It might be worth my while if they are as fast as they should be (and cheaper).

9. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Not to mention the whole BIOS vs EFI difference... Most people won't risk bricking their motherboard! :eek:

kaboutertje: you're better off buying a Mac mini and using the rest of your money to get a gaming PC, IMHO. Just keep yourself one notch or two from the top-of-the-line graphic card and processor and it's easy to do (with the amount you said).

Or you could wait for the next iMac update... There's a chance they'll upgrade the GPU along with the CPU.

10. kaboutertje thread starter macrumors regular

kaboutertje

The imac isn't a option because of the build in screen (if they ever release a 20"+ screen the price will probably be insane). And 2 pc's just isn't it. I will probably favor the pc because of it's bigger hd etc, I used to do this with my ibook, but it sucked not to have everything on 1 machine.
    I'm hoping for a mac mini with a 7600gt+ card :)

11. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

No, otherwise you do somthing called breaking the law:mad: if you can't afford a decent mac buy a refurbished intel imac they go for about 800 euros

12. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

It has apple legal forced them to remove anything that told people how to do it on their forums

13. kaboutertje thread starter macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I've got enough money for a imac/mb/mini, but that's not what I want, a macpro is the only thing that offers me the best of both worlds (fast, good graphics card), but it's too expensive for just playing some games. But I think I've got enough info about this subject now, thanks everyone!

14. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

The imac is perfect for running games, why don't you buy a refurb powermac g5

15. kaboutertje thread starter macrumors regular

kaboutertje

With all do respect, some people here claim a macbook runs games fine too, guess that is subjective, but I personally need to have something more then a radeon 1600. A G5 can't run windows so that's not an option, I don't find it that strange though there probably isn't any demand for a mac that can play games. That's kind of the reason why I wanted to see if mac os is available for a windows pc.
    I'm just going to wait till september and see if a new mac arrives, the mac mini really needs a upgrade/price drop, otherwise I'm just gonna buy a core 2 duo shuttle system.