mac OS on a PC ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shep49, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shep49 macrumors newbie

Hi This is prob a strange question but since I know Nadda about Macs I will ask anyway. I was wondering if it is possible to use a MAC O.S. On a separate HD in a PC. I have a custom built PC with 2 Hard drives. I use XP on one and Linux 2006 on the other. I was thinking of replacing The Linux OS with the Mac OS. Can this be done? and will it run smoothly? I wish to purchase a Mac Laptop but with 2 children in University Dad has to wait!..Thanks for your time..

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You have to be an Apple developer otherwise it's illegal.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you search there are tons of threads on this.

Yes it is possible, however it is not:

1) Legal
    2) Easy
    3) Very usable
    4) Current, meaning the release you can get to work is a few points behind where Mac OS X is

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It is not a strange question, it gets asked a lot. For technical and business reasons, it can not.

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

There are ways it can be done... but not legally.

I would suggest sticking with Linux on that system.

As for getting a Mac laptop, if you are under budget restrictions, buy a used system. I found a number of nice Mac laptops for clients for under $200 that run Mac OS X. The idea of buying a new Mac (specially to learn if Mac OS X is the right environment for you) would seem to be an odd route to take. It is much safer to buy used system, try it out, and then decide if a newer, faster, system is worth the investment on your part.

Actually, it is illegal even if you are a developer. Developer releases of Mac OS X for Intel are restricted to Apple hardware just as much as any other releases.

Just FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.