mac os ruined me for all others

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cait-sith, Apr 7, 2006.

1. cait-sith macrumors regular

Since I started with macs at around OS X (ver 10.3), I've found that I can't use another OS for a desktop. At work, I've tried running Fedora Core 4 and Windows XP -- but it really didn't feel good. Now I bring in my own personal Powerbook with Tiger to work every day.

To save me from having to bring my 'book to work every day, I tried to install Mac OS 10.2.8 on a G4 tower. 733mhz, 640 megs ram, and ran somewhat slow. Was Panther just more optomized and smoother than Jaguar, or is this a hardware thing? I recall a coworker with a slower G3 based iBook (the new white case style, though) and it ran 10.3 pretty lively. In any event, I'm still taking the laptop to work.

Anyone else notice they are now "stuck" with Mac OS?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Definitely. Anytime I have to use Windows I find myself getting very angry. :mad:

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I find that I prefer OS X over other OSes.

I think I could adjust okay, though.

4. alienex macrumors regular

I prefer OS X over others but I can use a PC if I need to with a high amount of know how.

5. cait-sith thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, but would you really enjoy it?

6. wingsky macrumors member

I agree... You don't know how p***** I get whenever I have a lot of windows open in XP and I go to the non-existent active screen corner to activate Exposé :mad:

7. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i can use a PC no problem, although i miss exposé and spotlight dearly.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I have to use XP all day everyday at my joby job. And it's not that big of a deal....

Of course coming home to Tiger on my G5 is like slipping on a comfy pair of sweats...

if that makes any sense...:D

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, there has been speed increases in all the Mac OS X versions, so Panther could run better than Jaguar on that old PowerMac. The versions also got increasingly RAM hungry, but 640MB should be fine if you stick to just a few apps at the same time.

10. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

It makes perfect sense. At least to me.

11. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I use windows computers at school, and the main thing that annoys me is their lack of Expose.

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i snuck in to my brothers and installed portraitofakiteosx which makes his pc look macish, and he likes it!
    ill buy =him a mac in a year or two

13. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

ever since i made the switch, i can't tell you how many times i've been on a windows box and tried to hit my exposé key. it's ridiculous. and frustrating. long live os x.

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

SAme story here, Windows XP feels outdated and problem ridden(spyware, viruses) on top of being insecure..

Linux feels slightly primative in comparison to OS X, but i'd prefer to use it than XP, if only more linux distro's had better wi-fi handling...

ShadOW

15. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i always choose os x over xp now but if i have to use a windows machine i'll use it.

16. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Jaguar is just a dog...you need to install Tiger on that Power Mac. I have Tiger on the Power Mac in my signature (350Mhz, 512MB) and it runs great. Could use a new video card, but the actual OS runs awesome.

It will run awesome on your G4 too. :)

17. Dm84 macrumors regular

Nope. I quickly adjust to any OS that I have to use. Maybe the fact that I've been using computers since I was 4 years old has something to do with that (I'm 21 now).

18. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

For all you exposé heads, do you know about "windows+d"?

It minimises all windows... kinda useful.

19. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I love using the Macs at school, and I would love to have an OS X machine here at the house. However, I can word with what I have. I don't have problems running Linux, or windows. However, when using Windows it gets on my nerves when things don't want to work the way I want them to.

20. Keebler macrumors 68030

slapping the wrong keys

oh ya. although winxp was/is very solid compared to win95/me, mac os is amazing.

i still use a peecee for some business related stuff so i can leave my macs to 'work' being the horses they are.

but when i do i find:
    1. that i'm continually slapping spots on my keyboard, looking for apple keys
    2. i scream at how i have to labourisly (sp?) dig into folders without ease
    3. how i can't colour code any files/folders (unless i just don't know how to do this in winxp)
    those are the basics....it could go on.
    4. i love how i can think, 'hey, i wonder if that's possible?" for any idea and sure enough, 9 times out of 10, someone has coded what i need.

mac os is fantastico! it has ruined my experiences with any other os :)

21. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I definitly prefer OS X. But at work I have to use Win 2000. No way around it. It is ok, even so not preferred.