Mac OS Rumors has gone mad...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by haiggy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Okay,

So I have always been interested in Macs so I used to hit www.macosrumors.com , before I found this site. So I decided to go there today, out of pure boredom and I read a pretty rediculous rumor (Quad G5's) Go to the site to find out more... personally, I think they have become a joke.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It does sound like pretty idle speculation, but it half sounds like they were talking about machines with two dual-core processors in them (so four cores)...considering the MB's already have two processors, I guess it isn't sooo ridiculous.

And at least they aren't predicting PB/G5's next week. :p

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The 90nm 2.5GHz is too hot to run at 3.0GHz, yet it will do a dandy job as a Quad.

IBM admitted that dual core CPUs would become common at the current heat spec, but would likely need to be downclocked to meet that spec.

In PC speak a 970MP at 1.5GHz would be equal to a 3GHz chip.

However expect the 970GX (1MB L2 cache) next. Possibly a Power5-UL well before the quad.

Anyways they already have quads, they're called Power4 and Power5.

4. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I know but if you read more on the site it just sounds so rediculous...

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's what I think regarding the Mac OS Rumors reports:

The quad-CPU Macs and dual-core PowerBooks WILL happen - just not as early as Mac OS Rumors is suggesting. First of all, I'm expecting a more gradual transition, which will go something like this:
    1. Dual-core, single CPU PowerMacs appear (mid 2005).
    2. Dual-core, single CPU PowerBooks appear (late 2005).
    3. Dual-core, dual CPU PowerMacs appear (early 2006)
    4. Dual-core, single CPU iMacs appear (mid 2006).
    5. Dual-core, single CPU eMacs and iBooks appear (late 2006).

Also in 2006:
    The PowerPC G6 appears in PowerMacs.

7. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Idles speculation. But whatever it's worth, dual-core PB and quad PM rumors have been around since 2001. Everyone (Freescale, IBM, etc.) are working on dual-cores. It's only a matter of time before they make it into Macs.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

So you are suggesting that there will be no revision to the PowerMac G5 processors till summer 2005? I would be very disappointed it that was the case.

The G5 was announced in summer 2003, at which time Steve told us to expect 3G CPU's within 12 months. The only significant addition has been the ramped-up DP 2.5.

Do you really think Apple would go 2 years without a significant upgrade in their flagship pro-end machines?

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

MacOSRumors is wrong more than they're right, but even though what they predict is usually wrong, it's not usually very outlandish. I don't think this is any exception.

10. TheT macrumors 6502

There have been Quad G4-Prototypes, believe it or not. Apple employeers were actually working with these. And since dual-core is going to happen, Quad-G5s seem even more likely...

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No - there will be at least 1 update between now and then, if not 2 or 3. The question is "how will Apple update them?" It's unclear to me at this point.

12. Redboy macrumors member

That site has been a joke for as long as I can remember - years and years. I used to consider it fun reading, now it's just a complete waste of time.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Statistically speaking Mac OS Rumors has to be right every once in a while. There has been a lot of talk about a dual core in this forum. So I'm sure that in time it will be on the G5.

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Still it is fun that a site is dedicated to 100% rumoring.
    Most rumor sites have turned into news sites, with an occasional rumor.

Sure, MOSR is outrageous, but they do stir up some interesting discussions.

15. cubist macrumors 68020

MacOSRumors has been predicting quad-processor Macs for years, and they have never shown up. Why, just before the G5 was released they were even predicting 8-way PowerMac G4s. A lot of their articles seem to be completely made up.

Arn's discussed before the basic difference between a rumor (an actual leak) and pure speculation, and on this site, we try to draw that line very clearly.

I think MOSR's basic problem is that they don't have very good sources. They seem to have a contact at IBM, but it's doubtful anyone there knows anything about Apple products.

16. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

MOSR was down for a long time.... they are just desperate to get traffic back. At one time the only way to get to them was via an IP.