Mac OS Rumours - Mini iBook in 2005 ????

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by aswitcher, Mar 25, 2004.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

This link
    http://www.macosrumors.com/32504E.html
    sounded pretty reasonable.

I am not sure about January 2005, but maybe later in that year, a superlight iBook perhaps in a finish like the mini ipods (at least silver) I agree could be a huge hit.

2. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Sounds very nice, but I don't know how Apple's engineers would get those great specs into a smaller machine. The current iBooks already don't have much empty space.

3. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well if its 10+ months away, I think there is a possibility. The market information seems to make sense. Allot of people who don't carry around laptops now might be interested in a very cool looking 12" laptop that was easy to take to work and to their friends places, to school and university.

Most students will be using laptops 10 years from now, why not lead the way with something highly portable and fashionable?

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I read the article as well. For me it sounds possible. Whatever ultra-thin means. The newest really ultra-thin from sony that was shown at the CEBIT last week has no drive. I really don't hope they make it that thin. Thinner then today is fine and more stylish. Even so I really like the current style. I would buy it right away.

P.S. BTW aswitcher. I really think about visiting OZ this year. I heard a lot about very dangerous snakes and spiders. Is the one in your avatar one of those monsters I have to be afraid of ?

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The report looks pretty accurate... considering its in the future a bit.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The best way to have an ultralight portable is, I hate to say, take out the CD/DVD/whatever drive. The problem is that they aren't going to shrink very much and they take up a ton of space.

I'm not saying the iBooks couldn't be thinner, but to make a huge difference, something has to go. Take the last dramatic cut in size: it cost the PowerBooks their removable bays.

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

any smaller and the keyboard would be hard to type on

8. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Just because there are rumors of the iBook becoming more thin doesn't mean that the iBook will become smaller. It would still maintain the width of the current configurations, unless they went to a widescreen display. But I think this idea is very cool. I have to admite that I am disappointed that the new 15" PowerBooks are .1" thicker than the Titanium ones. Kind of seems like a step backward. But if they could get the iBook under 1" thin and still have the optical drive in it, it would be one sexy looking machine. Then add the coolness of the aluminum feel of the PowerBook and iPod minis....maybe some color as well, who knows?!? Any way you look at it, I'm sure we will all be pleased with the direction Apple is headed in the next few years....

P.S. My new 15" PowerBook should be here in a couple hours!!!!!!

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

oh, thats good then. I just assumed that a consumer based machine wouldn't be pushed that far.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

isnt macosrumors the one with one of the worse track records ever?

iJon

11. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Maybe not the worst ever. I think one of their best rumors was that Apple would put Piles in Panther. And then after WWDC and the Panther Preview they said that Apple had pulled Piles as a feature.

Nothing like inventing your own rumor and then killing your own rumor. Makes you look pretty accurate.

12. &RU macrumors member

Possibility.

Considering the number of grade schools that are ordering iBooks, I think this makes perfect sense. To a child, hefting an iBook around has got to be like us carrying a patio tile around. Even for older students who carry them around in their bookbags, smaller is definitely smarter. Apple definitely has to up the ante with education -- and that is an easy way to do it.

13. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yes, we have lots of poisionous snakes and spiders, as well a some pretty nasty sea creatures, and of course crocodiles (but you have all seen the croc hunter so you knew that already :p ).

That's a Thylacine...or perhaps better known as the Tasmania Tiger...

Its bigger than the Tasmania Devil that was so wrongly presented by Disney (all Devils are black and white, not brown! Its like seeing a brown zebra or killer whale on TV, weird)

It was the biggest thing I felt could be a Big Cat to fit the OS theme of big cat names...but don't fear we made them extinct back in the 1920s iirc, "so its dead Jim".

No Big Cats in Australia, although the marsupial Quolls (Tiger cats) filled the feline category until arrival of white man and his cats. We have over a million feral cats iirc

Oh, and watch out for Dropbears