Mac OS X 10.1.3 does not work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by turtleone, Oct 26, 2005.

1. turtleone macrumors newbie

I have had my iMac G4 for a couple of years now with no problems until now. One day I went to start up my computer in OS X (which I normally have it in) and never got passed the initial screen with the computer icon. I read a bunch of forums and found "Disk Warrior" as a common solution. I installed Disk Warrior and was able to save my files, but when I started the computer up in OS X again I got passed the startup only to find myself stuck again. This time the screen is blue with the time/ internet connect icons in the upper right hand corner. I have tried several solutions on the mac support page and cannot seem to fix this problem.:(

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try putting the OSX disks in and starting from them (hold down C). If you get into the desktop, go to Disk Utility and see if you can repair the disk. We need to work out if this is a failing hard drive before we start reinstalling operating systems because we don't want this to happen again. :)

3. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

Once you get it working again, consider upgrading your OS. All versions of 10.1 are slow as death. Panther was the first really stable and useful version of OS X, Tiger is better. FWIW

Z

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I'm sure Apple agrees with you about 10.1.3.
    Upgrade to the latest version of OSX; it works significantly better than the early versions, particularly those prior to Panther (10.3).
    BTW, do a clean installation rather than the "upgrade" option.

5. cemorris macrumors regular

Similar things happened to me when my hard drive was dying. I would want to boot, but would make it to various stages and then just hang.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Wrong. Jaguar was a fine OS. Definitely should move up from 10.1 though ;)

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

I run 10.2 on this beige G3 AIO in my sig and it runs fine there is no lockup's or any thing . From what i heard that any thing before 10.2 was crap in OS X. yea 10.2 prolly isnt as fast as 10.3 or 10.4 is but i find it stable

8. turtleone thread starter macrumors newbie

OSX help

Thanks to all who replied. I was able to get into the system preferences and do an update which seems to have fixed the problem. But for some reason, I lost the drivers on the computer for my printers. I also tried to relaod the printer software without success. Do I need to reload the computer software or will this erase all of my files? Thanks again for the help.

P.S. I took the advice and ordered OSX Tiger but was curious if this would erase all of my files on my hard drive.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hopefully, you've updated to 10.1.5, which wasn't quite so bad.

Installing Tiger won't erase your personal files and you can certainly do an upgrade installation and it keeps changes to a minimum.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Doing an upgrade works, but if you can the best move would be to back everything you really need up and do a clean installation, it'll give you a fresh, crisp OS to play with, and you won't have to deal with any lingering issues. I can assure you, though, that however you roll it, Tiger will be a joy compared to 10.1. :)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When 10.1 came out, people said "10.1 is the first actual usable version of OS X".
    When 10.2 came out, people said "10.2 is the first actual usable version of OS X".
    When 10.3 came out, people said "10.3 is the first actual usable version of OS X".

So there you have it :rolleyes:

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I remember when 10.0.4 was reasonably usable. :D Of course, with each new, full release, they needed a lot of patches to finally get it to a usable state like 10.1.5, 10.2.8, 10.3.9. Hopefully, 10.4.3 will actually be quite good.