Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
so it is pretty much impossible to replace storage on anything that is current in the Apple lineup, but we have the TRIM support for 3rd party SSDs.

There are a lot of older generation Mac computers that can benefit from this with third party SSD installed.

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Just did this on my old Early 2011 MBP. Has a Samsung 840 EVO inside. No issues so far, actually is slightly faster on the Blackmagic test. Likely unrelated though.

NSeven

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Scotland
I'm gonna just go balls deep tonight and just enable it! will report back tomorrow if i still have a working system!

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Trimforce working for me. Was a little worried when I ran it, as it said it would immediately reboot my machine, yet there was a LONG delay before it restarted, and my cMP even looked like it was locked up before it actually reboot.

Now that we have real TRIM, is there any advantage to the Apple SSUAX/SSUBX PCIe SSD's over generic Samsung SM951's?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
My question is what does this do to Fusion drives?

I have a 128GB SSD, and a 2TB drive setup... and when I tried installing the latest 10.10.4 Beta 3 release; it went to install then I seem to have gotten a weird Black screen and beach ball.

I had to force it to reboot, after rebooting I noticed that the App Store said I still had 2 updates to install. Tried to open the AppStore, and tell it to install the updates again, but now it seems that the update flaked out the AppStore and it doesn't respond at all, even after multiple reboots, or repairing permissions.

however I can boot the OS just fine... ???

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
How should I go about enabling trim this way if I already have it enabled through Cindori's Disk Sensei? Should I disable trim though Disk Sensei first, disable Kext signing and reboot then run the terminal command? I am aware of the boot issues with kext signing as that has happened to me before...

OR should I simply enable trim through terminal over the already enabled Cindori and reboot, hoping for the best?

What's the best route to take? I'm sure the majority of us are in a similar situation.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't see the benefits being worth the risk on the Samsungs..

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Does enabling TRIM for the first time on an SSD that had been used for several months reverse the effects of not having TRIM enabled from the beginning?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Having had a nasty time with Samsung 840 Evo (some serious data corruption) - bit wary. Heck - apart from potential TRIM issues, the 840 has bad bit rot, with the need to access the data every so often just to keep it there.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So Apple finally does something for the remaining 5% of customers who have replaceable drives. A little late Apple.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Earlier today Apple released OS X 10.10.4, an under-the-hood update to OS X that introduced several bug fixes and improvements. One improvement, according to Ars Technica, is support for TRIM for third-party SSD hard drives. We previously covered TRIM likely coming natively to the next version of OS X El Capitan but it appears support has already arrived.

trimforce.png

Photo via ArsTechnica

TRIM is a system-level command that allows the operating system and the drive to communicate about which areas of the drive are considered unused and thus ready to be erased and rewritten to. In the absence of TRIM, users can see significantly slower drive writes as the drive begins to fill up. Most modern operating systems support TRIM but for Apple's OS X, it has only included support for its OEM SSDs. This means that Mac users looking to install an after-market SSD in a machine originally intended for spinning disc hard drives would run into trouble without the help of other third-party tools.

To enable TRIM, a user just has to type "sudo trimforce enable" into the Terminal window. Ars Technica points out that running TRIM prompts a "scary" message from the system, but notes it's largely because each SSD implements TRIM in a different way, with older disks sometimes acting in a way OS X would not expect.

MacRumors forum readers have been testing and discussing the update in our forums and sharing their experiences.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.10.4 Supports TRIM for Third-Party SSD Hard Drives

Outstanding! Thank you Apple!

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I also have a samsung 850 evo 500gb in an early 2011 13"mbp. I want to install but use it for work and home (its my only computer) and id hate to lose personal pictures or work files.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Palliser

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
USA
I also have a samsung 850 evo 500gb in an early 2011 13"mbp. I want to install but use it for work and home (its my only computer) and id hate to lose personal pictures or work files.

Yeah not sure the benefit is worth the risk. 240gb version of the 850 in a 2012 mbp here myself...

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
OWC drives don't require TRIM as they have their own garbage collecting tech built-in.

http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

GC is not the same as having native TRIM support. With the change to Yosemite originally (no more TRIM without disabling kext signing) I imagine OWC saw the potential for lost sales so they put out that article to put people at ease.

Now that TRIM support is back, you can enable it for that drive. The built in GC is no substitute for the TRIM system.

If you keep the SSD mostly empty anyway then the benefits are marginal for most people. If you have a smaller SSD though, or like to fill it up nearly full then you'll benefit enormously from native TRIM on any SSD.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Using Samsung 840 Evo since over an year on 13" MBP 2012 with zero issues.

Anyone else enable it? Is there any risk? Worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.